RCU Forums - View Single Post - pacific models gee bee-Y arf
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2002, 07:24 AM
AndySteere
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pacific models gee bee-Y arf

jrf,

thank you for the info! That explains it! The photo I linked to in my earlier message was Ken Flager's replica, which has no extra fairings (and a more reasonable sized engine). I don't know about you, but I'd rather think of my GBY as the replica, or at least as it was before Florence got hold of it! To think otherwise goes crossgrain to the website's warning about NOT being a racer (according to one source, GBY's won more races and made more money than the purpose-built Gee Bee racers). A person might be tempted to put a ZDZ80 in it to fully duplicate her efforts to win that race... probably with the exact same results! :stupid:

The online resources are contradictory about the GBY's color. All the sources agree there were only two of these airplanes built originally, NR11049 and NR718Y, both started life as twin-seaters. One of the sources, Golden Aviation, swears both were red and white with blue pinstripe. But the Aerofiles site says NR718Y was red and cream. Who knows... I like the white better and it looks very nice with either black or blue pinstripe.

Do you have any prop recommendations for an RCS140? Should be a bit stronger than a stock G23. Mine was last tached turning an APC16x8 at >8600rpm (only half way through the first gallon of fuel). After break-in, RCS recommends propping it down to ~8000 with a 17x8 or 16x10. If it can turn a Mejzlik 18x6 close to 8000rpm, do you think that would be a good choice?

Congrats on a great ARF, and thanks for bringing it to us!