Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

pacific models gee bee-Y arf

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

pacific models gee bee-Y arf

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 08:28 AM
kroflite54
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pacific models gee bee-Y arf

has anyone assembled and flown this plane.?According to mfg it goes together and is flight ready in 15 hrs.Would like opinions as to the quality and its flight performance .If i buy one ,i will put a 23cc gas in it .

Old 06-03-2002, 11:00 AM
Daleroger
My Feedback: (39)

No one can "get" one. They ran ads since Feb. said early March, end of March , end of April, now first week of June. Sent me e-mail early May wanting to know if I still wanted one after I inquired in Feb. I told them to let me know when they actually had them in house available to ship. They had a prototype at Toledo, the quality of which was only fair ( in my opinion ) compared to Yellow and the other mfg. But, it is a Gee-Bee Y, which is VERY cool. Their web site is;
http://pacaeromodel.com/GeeBee/geebee.htm

Thanks,
Dale
Old 06-03-2002, 12:23 PM
R/Ckrazy

Default Buddy has the giant Tiger MOTH

The quality looks VERY VERY good from what I saw on the bird.
He got a special deal on it from this dealer

GEE BEE

Old 06-03-2002, 01:16 PM
Daleroger

I looked over the Gee-Bee on display at Toledo very closely. The covering and paint were not the high quality standard that Yellow and others have managed to achieve. But that's just my opinion. The size and look,were impressive though. Perhaps that display model didn't represent what they are selling now. I would like to see a current production example. The pictures on the web site look great. I would have bought one but I just got tired of waiting .
Old 06-03-2002, 10:13 PM
kroflite54

Hi Dale .

i saw it in toledo also and the fella did say that the production models would be more colorful and and covered with high gloss covering.Its is a great looking bird.

thanks for your reply
Old 06-04-2002, 07:38 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Default Gee Bee Y Model

well they are suppose to available, Monday, June 3.was going to get one,but change my mind....like to see the building and flying reports on this one.......
Old 06-15-2002, 07:58 AM
fgpierce
My Feedback: (2)

I have talked to pacaeromodel just a few days ago. i believe 6/4
and have verified they now have them in the warehouse!
mine was to have been shipped this week!
as yet I have not recieved it. I used standard ground as I'm not really in a hurry with a few things I need to get out of the way first! Namely some 1/4 scale Nieuport 17 teething problems.

when I recieve it I'll try and post some first impressions
Old 06-15-2002, 10:33 AM
Daleroger

I know of another person whom the Gee-Bee is in-route to.
When he gets it, I'll ask him to post his first impressions also, and , maybe some pictures.
Thanks,
Dale
Old 06-16-2002, 12:29 AM
kroflite54

Thanks .i will look forward to hearing your impressions of the GeeBee Y.hopfully in the near future ,i will have one to.It really does look like good quality workmanship.I saw it at the toledo show

Ken
Old 06-21-2002, 02:45 AM
Biplane-RCU

The kits are in, I received mine on Tuesday this week. Very nice kit, far superior to Hangar 9 P-51, Goldberg Ultimate. This is a 95% completed airplane, fewer parts than any other ARF I've assembled.

Mine was damaged in shipment, but repair parts have already been shipped. These guys answered all my questions and even provided hints for larger HP engine. They sent me pictures of the plant in China on two occasions showing the assembly, they even sent me a pre-release copy of their ad and told me when the boat left China. You cannot find anyone in this hobby who will communicate better then that.

And yes I ordered mine in Feb., but it was worth the wait.

I will follow-up with any additional information as the plane goes together.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:45 AM
fgpierce

Well Guys I finaly recieved mine.
First impressions are that its well made and thought out. The covering is applied well and tight, but our SoCal sun will be the final judge! To be fair all my coverings have problems in the strong sun out here!!
the Fuse uses ply wood formers and what appears to be spruce longerons. Fuel tank is in place with fuel lines already attached for glow.
The cowl and wheelpants are a really good fiberglass and also well made. Landing gear is quite robust and chromed to prevent rust. Nice touch!
Horizontal stab, ele,vert stab and rudder are built up and also well made. No Flat sheet here as the Vertical Stab blends into the fuse.
Main wing is NICELY made and covered. The nice thing here is the wing is made to split in half for transport and storage! It uses an aluminum spar joiner and aft steel peg.
I'm going to install a Zenoah G-23 Glow engine. The radio will be a Hitech Eclipse 7.
So far a very nice ARF well worth those Hobby Dollars!
Old 06-22-2002, 12:36 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Weight

Before you start to assemble the plane would you please weigh everything that is included in the box that will go into the plane to go flying. This will give us a good insight as to how the plane finishes up weight wise.
Sparky
Old 06-27-2002, 06:42 PM
popeye721
My Feedback: (1)

I recieved mines 06/24/02 .It comes in one large box. I found everything to to be packed very well. I din't find any damage.The kit is very well covered in ultra coat. fiberglass cowling & wheel pants are painted very well. The fuse seems to be built out of plywood with spruce stringers,and looks to be vey well glued.The wing looks very stong alum. tube fits fine and and alinement peg was on the money.I will be useing a G23 in mines so out comes the tank that ,was very neatly installed. The kit was indeed worth waiting for. I have allready pin striped between the red & white with 1/8 black pin stripeing tape it made a big differance.
Know for the down side. I will not be useing any of the control horns or control rods or kwick links that came with the kit .
They are not up to par at all.I will also be glueing the wing together i don,t like the wing half installation. thats it other than that I love it.

Andrew
Old 06-27-2002, 09:07 PM
Crash_N_Burn

I'm following this thread with interest.....Please give us your thoughts during assembly and especially with flight. I'm thinking the new YS 140DZ Dingo may be a good choice, yes?

They don't come much cuter, do they?
Old 06-28-2002, 01:20 AM
Biplane-RCU

Started assembly last weekend. I choose not to use all of the hardware. 2mm control rods just seemed to small, up-sized to 4-40, using Sullivan control horns. Everything has fit up very well without any glitches.

I finished the wings and will glue them together this weekend. Going to use 1.8 Moki, Futaba 8 UA radio and assortment of futaba servos.

The replacement cowl arrived by priority mail.

There are many little things in the design of this ARF that make it a stand out from the Hangar 9 or CG ARFs I've built. The control horn locations are marked, fuel tank installed with lines attached, soft mounts for the wheel pants, firewall pre-drilled and blind nuts installed, and the cowl mounting blocks are installed. The hardware for each build sequence are individually bagged, no sorting.

While I don't believe it is 95% complete, it is very close.

Hope to fly over the long weekend.

Well worth the money. Flight time will tell the whole story.
Old 06-28-2002, 07:22 PM
rev

Default GEE BEE

I checked the weld on the landing gear, I had one good one and one pulled apart very easily. I recomend that you check your landing gear. I would hate to damage the airplane (if it is preventable).
Old 06-28-2002, 08:29 PM
AndySteere

Speaking of landing gear... has anybody tried the Robart struts made for the GP Ryan STA to see if they would work on this? Seems like just the ticket, if it will fit.
Old 07-04-2002, 12:34 AM
rev

Default GEE BEE

Has anyone had a opp. to fly this plane yet?
Old 07-04-2002, 12:49 AM
Crash_N_Burn

I'd even like to know how well it rode in the back of the transport on the way to the field! LOL

I've got two computers here and the other one is poised to accept the last digit of my VISA card number for this plane...

...Keep us posted, guys!

Happy flying!
Old 07-05-2002, 02:41 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gee Bee weight

So far the completed airframe WITHOUT engine and mount, no servos, receiver or battery, but WITH everything else (cowl, dummy engine, wheels, etc) weighs 8.6 lbs

My cowl had a small crack in it too. I plan on using an RCS 140 on mine.

Put some 1/8" black striping tape on color breaks. It looks REEEEEL good!
Old 07-06-2002, 02:17 AM
deadstickdan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gee Bee cowl ID measurement

Would anyone out there who is assembling one of these Gee Bee's mind giving me the inside diameter measurement of the cowl. I've got a Saito 170r3 that needs a home and this just might be the ticket if it will fit inside the cowl.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 07-06-2002, 02:54 PM
rev

Default Gee BEE

The inside dia. is 10"
Old 07-06-2002, 09:48 PM
fgpierce

Well I flew mine for the first time Thurday ( July 4 ). What a 4th of July celebration! WWWWWWOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW comes to mind to describe it.
It is gorgeous in flight!!!!

its ground handeling is great. It doesnt like slow throttle as it seems to want to wander and result in a possible ground loop!
I gave it a lot of power real fast and it leaps into the air like a stinger missle. Once flying Its poetry. Strong and on rails! Pay close attention to recommended throws balance!!!! Especialy the Elevator.... 5/8 up and 5/8 down NO MORE!
Make sure you have the recomended offset on your Aileron throws. Watch for a slight tendency to tuck in high G turns! Not BAD but still something to be aware of.
Landing set up your decent HOLD a little throttle and allow it to sink.Cut the throttle just before flair and watch it settle so pretty and allow it to roll out nice and straight.
Loops and rolls are beutiful. It will fly knife edge, inverted although I havent wrung it out because of the adrenalin factor!
I will admit that my hands and knees were a bit shaky! Only because it would break my heart to kill this beutiful bird!!
Power is a Zenoah G-23 glow ( far more power than its gas brothers) Weight is 13.lbs 8.ozs. I mounted my servos up front on the CG and batt & reciever front of the CG. Semi-flexible sullivan push rods. One hitec 605 for rudder and 2 Hitech 422's for both ele & alerons>
This bird already is one of my all time Favorites, Hands down
It was worth the Wait
Happy Flying guys
Old 07-06-2002, 09:50 PM
fgpierce

the reason to hold throttle on landing is that it has alot of frontal area and will slow down fast! So be aware!!
Old 07-08-2002, 01:36 AM
Biplane-RCU

I'm in the final stage of assembly, setting throws and programming radio.

My Gee Bee weighs in at 14lbs 11oz. Moki 1.8 with inverted muffler, fuel pump, Tru-Turn 1 1/2" Prop Hub, & remote glow start. 1/4 scale pilot, 1800mah 6 volt battery, 20 oz fuel tank on CG, gyro, and Sullivan 1/4 scale control horns (ail. only) The rest of the equipment is as supplied. I have glued the wing together and sealed the control surface gaps.

I have the battery against the firewall and the rec. on the CG (use 24in. extensions) and still had to add 3oz of lead to the nose to balance at 4 1/2in.

Anyone else adding weight to balance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.