RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gas 4 strokes?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Willdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE: RE: Gas 4 strokes?

First my apologies Dave Jones for not mentioning you, I had checked out your videos etc, and it is a little more heartening to actually see the motors in action!

You last two guys are absolutely correct, no big manufacturer is going to make a dedicated model aircraft engine but I would have thought that some small buisnesses would be able to cash in on converting the more suitable and available ones.

A few of the big companies it seems are using four stroke machines with oil/gas mix, which is really not addressing the supposed problem of pollution, and it seems to me that the legislation is aimed at the "two stroke" engine rather than "pollution". ( maybe someone could enlighten me on this ).
If this is so, it is a tragedy for what was (and is) an excellent powerplant, (the 2 stroke that is ).

Honda however, with their vast experience of four strokes have come up with an innovative and cheap solution for lubrication, almost tailor made for model aircraft, and virtually non polluting, yet almost everyone ignores this.

What amazes me is the number of people who state that " it can't be done because ......".
Where is the pioneering spirit? are we going to sit and wait till all the parts required pop up on the shelves and we take them home, follow the clear and precise instructions and bolt them up, or till an assembled "ready to roll model" arrives on the doorstep all gift wrapped?

I must admit that I tend to look at things from an engineers point of view, rather than from a fliers point of view so please don't take my criticism too much to heart.