RCU Forums - View Single Post - NEW OS 32..HOLY CRAP WHAT WENT WRONG!!!!!
Old 02-16-2004, 12:12 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: NEW OS 32..HOLY CRAP WHAT WENT WRONG!!!!!

Ok, looked at the other thread listed, I have a question for you Pathogens. First, how old are you? I am guessing between 14 and 17. That doesn't matter to me, I am just wondering.

Ok, as far as setup, have you gone through the manual and set every pitch linkage in it to the exact lenght the book says. It gives you a very good list that states exactly to the mm what lenght each should be at. The radios books usually suck to set up the radio part. It sounds like you got some help with that which is good.

If there is a problem with the engine making strange noises, I would send it in before messing with it so you don't void the warrenty. Hopefully from the sounds of it, someone helped you get that fixed.

As for flying it, don't try to fly it right away. After you have gotten everything set up, tie it down to something heavy so it can't fly. Then start it, and you can let everything spin and make sure things are lined up right. You want to make sure the blades track propperly, which means one blade doesn't fly higher int he track than the other. If one does, you adjust the link on that one to make it come back in line. Most people put a piece of colored tape on one tip so they can see which one is doing what. then you want to make sure the cyclic pitch goes in the right directions, left makes the left tip of the disc drop, right goes right, forward makes the leading edge of the rotor disc go down and so forth. Then you can check the tail rotor to make sure it goes the right way. You can move it left with the stick and the nose should show that it wants to rotate left.

Once you are sure everything is set up, then put training gear on. I have my students use kids bike flag sticks. Get two, cut each in half. Put one on each skid pointing front to back, then one cross ways like a tic tac toe board. Use zip ties to hold them on. Put wiffle balls on the end held on with fuel line on each side.

Get the thing just light enough on the gear to move. Don't lift off. Learn to move it around on the ground (clean pavement) and get to where you can put it where you want to. then lift it about an inch and do it again. After you can get it to move where you want in all directions, then lift about a foot and do it again.

Have patients. Don't try to go too fast. If you try to lift it too high too fast, you will break it. If at all possible, have someone that knows helis check your setup. You will be glad you did.

Hope that helps some.

Good luck. Remember, if you get impatient, you will break it.