RCU Forums - View Single Post - Does this price sound right?
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2002, 05:29 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Does this price sound right?

Dave Visit Robbins hobby in Glendale and check into the Portipoti club. Robbins is the benifactor and a very nice bunch. Their field is in Sylmar with a nice new runway not sure of their fees but probably not excessive. Have flown a few night flys there as a guest in recent years. It is about the same distance from you as Sepulveda dam, Van Nuys (the basin). The basin requires no club membership except possibily AMA membership as it is a city
park. But you will also deal there with a lot of congestion seven days week. I was active there about 1970 before it was moved about a quarter of a mile and was of quite a different character then. Still return there for an occasional pylon race.

Whittier Narrows is in or near El monte and a much further drive for you (about 45 minutes traffic allowing (rare), it also is a City/county park with no club required but also charges a park daily use fee for the entire park which is waved for local club members. Also still go there for some racing and was based there in 1965. The legendary 'Wall' is still there and the current fine for overflying the gun club on final with power on is something over two hundred dollars. Was told last month there at a race that this is enforced 'no argument' by the rangers.

There is another choice out at Castaic Lake But can give you info there. The Portipoti's at Sylmar is a fine choice for you if you really want to do something with the sport. Be a good george and they will return the favor otherwise your probably committed to the 'Basin'. Now I know why moved away.

John