Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Does this price sound right?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Does this price sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 08:29 PM
DavidHLD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this price sound right?

I was looking around for local clubs, and I came across one. Mts from my home, everything seem'd good, and then I arrived at the fees of the club. For re-applying memeber the fees were about 40+. Yet for new members they charged 150ish not including AMA membership. Does this sound kind of high to you guys?
Old 06-05-2002, 08:40 PM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Default yes

At my club in northern california, they charge approx what you were quoted at your club.

I also belong to a second club here, and the second club charges comparable to the first. The primary reason for the high entry fee is to fund a "facilities" account which might be used if the club has to move fields in the future.

I forget where san Fernando Valley is...
Are you anywhere near Whittier Narrows?

--Sean
Old 06-05-2002, 08:43 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Its not too bad, my club charges $100.00 initially, every year after is $50.00, this does not include AMA. If it is a nice field it should be worth it, after all your renewal is only $40.00, thats not bad at all. Daz...
Old 06-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I pay $85 annually in one club and $100 annually at the other and when I joined, there was a $50 fee at each club as a new member. If you like the club then join!

$40 is CHEAP!
Old 06-05-2002, 10:15 PM
DavidHLD

Im about 20-25 mts North of Downtown LA.

I dont feel as bad about dropping 200$ on a flipping club. It's just SOOOO expensive. It's the price of an Eclipse 7channel.
I was hoping I could have gotten into the sport w/out spending over 6 Bills
Old 06-05-2002, 11:25 PM
edge_fanatic

Which club is it? Whittier Narrows sounds like not too far from you...maybe 5 or ten miles.

When I answered earlier, I might not have been clear...It is $150 to join (includes first year dues) and $40 thereafter...where I fly.

Also, I've spent that much many times over on the nine planes I have...hehe...And to think I "promised" the wife that I'd probably hate the hobby and leave it...<as I duck my head so I don't get hit by the flying shoe...>

Cheers!
Old 06-06-2002, 01:47 AM
Andersonjim

Default Sepulveda dam??

When I use to live in Burbank, I would go to
sepulveda dam...there was no charge then...however that was about 20 + years ago. Do they charge now to fly there??

Thanks, Jim
Old 06-06-2002, 02:52 AM
DavidHLD

The city of Whittier is about maybe an hour away. canyon crosswinds in the Castaic Lake Area is closer.

I dont know if the Sepulveda dam charges.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:55 AM
DavidHLD

Im up in the Northridge area
Old 06-06-2002, 05:29 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave Visit Robbins hobby in Glendale and check into the Portipoti club. Robbins is the benifactor and a very nice bunch. Their field is in Sylmar with a nice new runway not sure of their fees but probably not excessive. Have flown a few night flys there as a guest in recent years. It is about the same distance from you as Sepulveda dam, Van Nuys (the basin). The basin requires no club membership except possibily AMA membership as it is a city
park. But you will also deal there with a lot of congestion seven days week. I was active there about 1970 before it was moved about a quarter of a mile and was of quite a different character then. Still return there for an occasional pylon race.

Whittier Narrows is in or near El monte and a much further drive for you (about 45 minutes traffic allowing (rare), it also is a City/county park with no club required but also charges a park daily use fee for the entire park which is waved for local club members. Also still go there for some racing and was based there in 1965. The legendary 'Wall' is still there and the current fine for overflying the gun club on final with power on is something over two hundred dollars. Was told last month there at a race that this is enforced 'no argument' by the rangers.

There is another choice out at Castaic Lake But can give you info there. The Portipoti's at Sylmar is a fine choice for you if you really want to do something with the sport. Be a good george and they will return the favor otherwise your probably committed to the 'Basin'. Now I know why moved away.

John
Old 06-06-2002, 07:10 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Out here in the middle of no where, we charge $60 per year, but NEVER seem to have enough $ to get things done at the field. When you look at this hobby from a price standpoint then you will never truely enjoy it. It is a bit high to get it all started...Plane, Radio, Engine, Club Dues, AMA, not to mention all the little stuff...But then you have all that stuff, and can build several planes without adding all new equip. Even at $120 a year, that's only $10 a month. I bet most of us will spend that several times a month on lunch! If you join in, and then JOIN IN on being a part of the club, you will soon find that the dues seem low, when you understand what it takes to run a club. Good luck, and have FUN!
Old 06-06-2002, 07:42 PM
wnihart

Default How bout this?

$250 initiation, $120 a year. The bright spot is that the field has a nice, blacktop runway w/ all the markings and the grass is mowed/watered every week. BBQ, tables with AC power, awning with picnic tables underneath. Not to mention that it is right off to the side of a golf course. Excellent field. Nice guys as well.

However, for a newbie starting out this is pretty steep. Heck, this is almost the cost of my plane - my big fear is crashing it the first or second time out. I wish they had some additional incentive for the new guy so he would feel more at ease. Something like a club trainer to learn on or something. I think I may have to go out of town where the costs are more reasonable to learn.

Wayne
Old 06-06-2002, 09:32 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

I pay $10 a year. I guess I got a deal!
Old 06-07-2002, 02:39 AM
DGrant

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Billy, you got a great deal.

Our dues are $60 a year, with a first time initiation fee of $50+the regular dues of $60.
I figured it out, and for the amount of fun, and friends I can make and be with, it adds up to $5.00 a month, or better yet...a buck and a quarter a weekend (yes,,,that's $1.25). I don't know anywhere I can go and fly my plane(or do anything else for that fact) for 1.25 a weekend. That's pretty reasonable to me.
Even further, that's .75 cents a day if I only go on weekends. I go all week long though sometimes. It's pennys a day regardless.
AMA is always seperate though, as is any other liability policy.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:00 PM
Al Stein

A price can only be high if it's compared to something... my club has a 50/50 at each meeting and a lot of us go out for pizza or desert after meetings... for about 50c plus about $4.50 per month. that works out to $60 a year. We also have weekly barbeques in the good weather season (for which I like to make potato salad) and two fly-ins (for which a salad and a desert are appropriate)... which adds up to maybe a couple bucks 6 or 8 times a year... let's call it $25.

So, we're already at $85 just for social participation and our dues only run $40 or $45. My take is that even without looking at AMA dues or equipment and operating costs, club dues are pretty cheap.
Old 06-07-2002, 03:55 PM
kevin mcgrath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole deal is a matter of personal priorities,and depends whether your thing is golf,2/3/4/ wheelers,travel,or french fried puma navels.
If your attitude is grown men playing with toy airplanes then the hobby/sport is likely fairly far down your personal wannado and willpay list.If you are like me and get as much pure enjoyment out of building,flying,and the social side you will pay whatever is needed and count the cost cheap.
Ever notice the true beleiver refers to his flying mates and club as "we" and the marginal ones who come and go each year say "they"?
"My" club has been around for >50 years,has a beautiful location,and facilties and owns its own tractor and equipment."Our" dues are $C100 (about $65US) which includes membership in our national orginization,MAAC,and "we" have no initiation fee.One of the bargains of all time ,I think you will agree.
Old 06-07-2002, 06:57 PM
latch66

We charge $40/year. With special family dues if more than one person in a family flies.

We pay someone to mow the grass regularly, but we keep the cost down by several of us mowing the grass every once in a while.

We hold club meetings away from the field. The local barber shop more often than not serves as our club meeting place.

We don't have the best field I've ever seen, but we all get along with each other very well, and try to help the person who owns the property the field is on as much as possible.

I don't believe I have ever paid more that $50/year for club dues. But, I've never had a paved runway to fly from either. It's always been grass.

No complaints.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:48 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I won't join the club, and the fee to the County Forest Preserve for a permit is $25. The Preserve cuts the grass, there's a Port-a-potti if necessary. I get along just fine with the members and other non-member regulars. When I go flying, I make sure I have both cards, AMA and the FP permit. Also, I follow all safety rules provided by the club. I consider myself lucky, its only a 12 minute drive out to the field.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:05 AM
bear750
My Feedback: (30)

Most people would probably consider me lucky. The field 100 yards across from my front door is about 900 acres of hay, generally flyable (cut) two weeks of every month. The problem is how many times can you go fly alone?? (The photo of my avatare is the result of flying alone.) What I'm saying is that $40, 50, 100, it doesn't matter as long as you get the benefit of flying AND meeting and being around friends. There is more to this hobby than getting a krick in your neck from watching balsa & foam overhead. JOIN THE CLUBS.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:08 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been in clubs before. You pay a fee so that you can go to a monthly meeting and witness argueing, get jobs you don't really want to do, or fly in contests that you really don't have interest in. I'll take the krick in the neck, its my model.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:56 PM
BalsaOvercast
My Feedback: (16)

mmmmmmmm.....fried puma navels!
Old 06-15-2002, 12:43 AM
biplane13

I'm just a kid, so I am a member 4 free! Guess I just got lucky!!
Old 06-16-2002, 10:56 AM
Lonestarxp

this club here in toledo, ohio i am about to join is just a FLAT 75 doller a year.. called.. "Recker R/C club" just a nice, relaxing club w/out all the politics that really gets old..
Old 06-16-2002, 11:16 AM
kevin mcgrath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very curious what you mean by politics as in "lack of".?
do you mean too many rules? If so outline some that you find useless pls.
Olde Pharts club,just interested in slow scale planes and controlling everything?
Too many supposed safety rules?
Election politics?
Other?
I really do need to see clubs the way new members do and your input will help......
Thanks....
Old 06-16-2002, 01:12 PM
Lonestarxp

ok, by politics, i mean.. funny rules and odd stuff.. ill list some..

No mandatory meetings to stay a member, guests are allowed "but not to be abused.." , no limits on aircraft, good safty rules, but relaxed enough your not gonna fear for your membership, no electing members into the club, no initiation fee, the old people are the best, you can learn alot from them, and then some.. but if they get in your way while you are trying to develop those new acro skills, and they tell you not to do that stuff.. thats just wrong.. =) .. well.. i hope you understand what i mean by politics.. this field is the perfect field in my eyes.. a mix between old and young, around 80 members.. people are as nice as can be. decent annual cost, great field condition, no worries or hassles.. just plane fun flying and BBQ! it's weird, because now that i don't have to go to the meetings, i enjoy them much more.. doesn't feel like high school again.. the elder members fly mostly on the weekdays as a courtesy to us workers, and let us have the weekends so it is not as crowded. you can evev bring your project planes to a meeting, and get help from everyone if really in a bunch..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.