RCU Forums - View Single Post - Broken Crankshaft on my OS32
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 12:31 PM
johnnyseko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Broken Crankshaft on my OS32

Broke inside the fan assembly. Right where the threads on the crank shaft begin. I still can't believe it broke there. I've always had problems with the start shaft in my Nexus. First I replaced the "pin" inside the shaft with music wire (a suggestion I picked up on this site). Then the plastic/nylon part cracked on the shaft. I replaced that a few times. Then I realized that when I upgraded to a hex starter I should have gotten the starter wand with the one-way bearing. I bought that. Since then I haven't had any problems through @4gal of fuel. The only other problem (not really a problem-just me not paying attention) is overfilling the fuel tank when filling and flooding the engine. I think trying to crank the flooded engine has really taken its toll on wearing down the parts in the shaft. Then the problem just went to the next weakest link...the crankshaft.

I just hope the new engine won't be so hard to turn over. I plan on breaking it in on the bench as suggested in Rays Heli Manual. I bought the one that broke used so who knows what torture it was put through before I got it.

John