RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can a $10 "pattern style" airframe really exist?
Old 03-30-2004, 01:52 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can a $10 "pattern style" airframe really exist?

Thanks guys!
I appriciate the compliments...
I guess you can tell, pretty easy, that I'm a fun-fly guy by nature....I got most of the "concepts" from the OK Pilot Seduction series...they seem to do both pattern and 3D well.
I know I can't really fill both voids with one airframe...but its all just fun....

You nailed it too majortom....prototypes aren't usually that pretty....but once you get a plane that flies well...they start to look (and fly) better and better as you go...trim here...add here....version after version.

I'll defintly keep ya'll posted on the initial flights and what problems/qwerks I run into....

I still have to install servos, linkages, battery...but if nothing gets in my way (life, weather, work) I should have maiden flight this weekend...

I'm working on a GSP Katana/RCS 1.40 at the same time...so progress isn't as fast as I would like...easily side-tracked by the larger ARF sitting next to it...

Rcav8torjc...I'll put a black sunburst on the wing/stab and pinstripe the fuse if the maiden flight goes ok...also black canopy area with maybe a little Pink Panther pilot...
(Tribute to Owens Corning for the foam..hehehe)

Oh ya...the fuse is reinforced by the two 3/8" hardwood motor mount rails that run the length of the fuse...this gives me a couple of things...
1. It acts like a "spine" to attach wing, stab, motor.
2. Provides lengthwise (longitudinal) strength.
3. Keeps it light and simple.

Someone asked what I used to cover it with.....
Scotch brand Packing tape...$1.89 a roll and I can cover two planes with a roll...
A little touch of heat from sealing iron gets it to stick like mad...

Foam to foam bonds and wood to foam bonds are mostly Elmers Ultimate Poly-U glue....wood to wood bonds are epoxy..

**random silly thought**
You guys think I can cram an entire pattern routine into a 200 ft (100ft??) box with this??? Heheh... I could start a new trend!!!
Fun-Fly Pattern - same routines...just jammed in a small box and timed....add some more variables to the competition!!

Thanks again for the kind words.
Fly hard! Land soft!

CrazyHerb
www.crazyherb.com