Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Can a $10 "pattern style" airframe really exist?

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Can a $10 "pattern style" airframe really exist?

Old 03-30-2004, 11:49 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a $10 "pattern style" airframe really exist?

Hi all,

Well, I've been playing with my pink foam again... http://home.comcast.net/~crazyherb-rc/
This is my initial design, and I'm sure it may have some distinct inadequacies to a $2000 carbon/fiberglass airframe.
I'm gearing this toward the average sport/3D flyer that may want to try their hand at a more "pattern looking" airframe for dirt cheap.
(Namely MYSELF)
It's actually a semi-profile (1.5 in wide fuse)...

This model, if successful will be scaled up to 2 meter class (3 in wide fuse) (I have an interesting twist I'd like to apply to the bigger one, but that's kind of secret for now).

Here's a few of the stats

Span - 48
Length - 48
Area - 705 (wing) 955 sqin (total)
Weight (dry tank) - 4.5 lbs RTF
Engine - .46
Prop - APC 11x5

With that being said....I have a couple minor questions, and I'd love to hear comments from ya'll.
(check the web link above for many more construction photos)

1. What are your first impressions? (Yes...I know it's PINK!)
2. Wing location? Horz Stab Location look ok?
3. I have a pretty square rudder....will this effect coupling ya think? How do you foresee the flight characteristics with this design?

The FAT fin and thick horz stab should help slow the downlines quite a bit....I've proven this with a couple of my other designs.

So...what do ya think? Like? Hate? Cool thing about this is there's about 4 hrs construction time...and about 3 into designing/drawing.
Can't really argue with that....hehe...

Looking forward to the creative comments!

CrazyHerb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30069.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	116915  
Old 03-30-2004, 12:30 PM
flyn4Him

Default RE: Can a $10 "pattern style" airframe really exist?

I think its a bit toooooo pink! HEHEHEHEHEHE. Have you flown it yet? Is the fuse reinforced? How about the stab and vertical fin? From the looks of it, it appears you've accomplished your goals of an inexpensive sport/pattern ship. Let us know how it flies. Good luck in your endeavors and keep us posted. Have a great work week.

In Christ,

Joel Chavez
Old 03-30-2004, 01:23 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

My first impression is it's a lot more of a 3D fun-fly than a pattern ship. There are maybe two pattern type traits that I see, one being the swept back leading edge of the wing, the other being the planform of the fin. Other than that, it's short coupled like a fun-fly, has low aspect ratio wing like a fun-fly, big control surfaces everywhere like a 3D. I won't speculate as to how it'll fly, other than to say I'm sure it will be fun to fly. The nice thing about this kind of project is that you start with anything that flies and then modify it from HOW it flies to HOW YOU'D LIKE IT TO FLY, and that's how great models are developed. There's a very serious pattern flyer in my district who has designed at least one profile pattern plane--more or less for the same reasons you give--so there's nothing wrong with the basic idea. Developing your own design is great experience, so more power to you!
Old 03-30-2004, 01:52 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks guys!
I appriciate the compliments...
I guess you can tell, pretty easy, that I'm a fun-fly guy by nature....I got most of the "concepts" from the OK Pilot Seduction series...they seem to do both pattern and 3D well.
I know I can't really fill both voids with one airframe...but its all just fun....

You nailed it too majortom....prototypes aren't usually that pretty....but once you get a plane that flies well...they start to look (and fly) better and better as you go...trim here...add here....version after version.

I'll defintly keep ya'll posted on the initial flights and what problems/qwerks I run into....

I still have to install servos, linkages, battery...but if nothing gets in my way (life, weather, work) I should have maiden flight this weekend...

I'm working on a GSP Katana/RCS 1.40 at the same time...so progress isn't as fast as I would like...easily side-tracked by the larger ARF sitting next to it...

Rcav8torjc...I'll put a black sunburst on the wing/stab and pinstripe the fuse if the maiden flight goes ok...also black canopy area with maybe a little Pink Panther pilot...
(Tribute to Owens Corning for the foam..hehehe)

Oh ya...the fuse is reinforced by the two 3/8" hardwood motor mount rails that run the length of the fuse...this gives me a couple of things...
1. It acts like a "spine" to attach wing, stab, motor.
2. Provides lengthwise (longitudinal) strength.
3. Keeps it light and simple.

Someone asked what I used to cover it with.....
Scotch brand Packing tape...$1.89 a roll and I can cover two planes with a roll...
A little touch of heat from sealing iron gets it to stick like mad...

Foam to foam bonds and wood to foam bonds are mostly Elmers Ultimate Poly-U glue....wood to wood bonds are epoxy..

**random silly thought**
You guys think I can cram an entire pattern routine into a 200 ft (100ft??) box with this??? Heheh... I could start a new trend!!!
Fun-Fly Pattern - same routines...just jammed in a small box and timed....add some more variables to the competition!!

Thanks again for the kind words.
Fly hard! Land soft!

CrazyHerb
www.crazyherb.com
Old 03-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Jeff-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

A couple years back I started a profile Fascination using blue foam for the body. Once you decide to sheet and cap the wings (which I think you'll probably have to do once it's scaled up) I quickly got to the point that it was going to take the same amount of manhours as a "real" pattern plane.. Money is only part of the equation, time was the other. So I built a Jupiter instead!
Old 03-30-2004, 09:50 PM
Dogz

here is a even cheaper design.

http://www.geocities.com/peterkunzmann/nemesis.html
Old 03-30-2004, 09:51 PM
Dogz

[&:]