RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC eletric Car motors. How can i make a plane from scrath with this!? NEED MAJOR HELP!!!
Old 04-03-2004, 10:17 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RC eletric Car motors. How can i make a plane from scrath with this!? NEED MAJOR HELP!!!

What are you NUTZ?! (Sorry, just kidding. I couldn't resist. )

I would suggest that you go to a sight called EZone, then find the "Foamies" forum. It's pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

But here's a quick (?) synopsis.
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a foam material called Fan Fold Foam. It's blue foam insulation that's about 1/8th" thick, and comes in a block that's 4' by something like 24', but is folded into 2' X 4' sections. (Costs about $30.) It's enough foam to make at least 4 planes. (And you'll probably destroy the first two pretty quickly, so.... )

You'll be building your planes out of this and a few other materials. Pick up a couple of cheap yardsticks to use as wing spars while you're there.

Now, you'll need new battery packs for those motors, and you'd be better off with 8 cell packs, but they're more expensive too. (They'll have to be large enough cells to handle the amperage draw of those motors.)

You'll need radio equipment which will include transmitter, switch, servos (one for each control surface) and a receiver. You'll also need an electronic speed control capable of handling the amperage that those motors will draw. (Likely at least a 20 to 30 amp ESC.) The ESC is for motor (throttle) control.

You'll also need prop adapters so that you can mount props to the shaft of those motors. Prop adapters should be available at Hobby Lobby. They advertise here.

EZone is dedicated to electric powered flight, and the Foamies forum has threads about building planes out of Fan Fold Foam, also called F3 on Ezone. There's also an electric section on RCU, and you'll get more detail in either of these than you will here, which is 95% glow engine powered stuff.

Welcome to RCU, Good Luck, and above all, have fun!
Dennis-