Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

RC eletric Car motors. How can i make a plane from scrath with this!? NEED MAJOR HELP!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RC eletric Car motors. How can i make a plane from scrath with this!? NEED MAJOR HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 09:22 PM
paintballrdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC eletric Car motors. How can i make a plane from scrath with this!? NEED MAJOR HELP!!!

Warning! Long Post!

Ok, well i was cleaning out my closet and i came across three RC cars. Since i didn't have the battery packs for them and i didn't use them, i was about to throw them away but before i did i took them apart, stripped them down and pulled out the engines. Now the first car i took apart had two elecric motors in it. Curiously i hooked them up to a 9v battery and to my suprise they actually worked! So i stripped apart my other, faster RC car and i got one bigger stronger motor out of it. The third car was smaller than my hand, one of those little RC cars you get at the mall and the motor i pulled out of it is just about the size of my pinky. i hooked it up to the 9v and the thing went crazy, it was awsome. Anyways of course these engines sparked an interest, and me and my friend want to build an RC airplane somehow. We decided to use the two medium sized motors and make something with those two motors. Now heres where i need help. Our goal is to make something with those two motors that will get off the ground. Even if it doesn't get airborn, just seeing this home made plane moving across the grass would be an accomplishment lol. Now i've read a thread like this where all these hobbists came and said something like "If you are serious about this, then go buy a trainer" I don't want any of that stuff here, me and my friend are determined for this to work! Basically i want to know what you guys would do, and try and keep it relatively simple. Is it possible to get something airborn with two motors from my rc car? That is our main goal. If that is possible, i want to know how i can control its flight if it is possible. If i get this thing airborn, how do i control it? (Given it survives after being tested for non controlled flight). Anyone can elaborate and tell me what they think. I would like to know how rc works, what i should stick my motors on, or should i make something at home (Preferable), and if so, what do i make the wings out of and what do i make the base out of?! Anything posts would be greatly appreciated and helpful, but please keep the negative feedback on the downlow!
Old 04-03-2004, 10:17 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RC eletric Car motors. How can i make a plane from scrath with this!? NEED MAJOR HELP!!!

What are you NUTZ?! (Sorry, just kidding. I couldn't resist. )

I would suggest that you go to a sight called EZone, then find the "Foamies" forum. It's pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

But here's a quick (?) synopsis.
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a foam material called Fan Fold Foam. It's blue foam insulation that's about 1/8th" thick, and comes in a block that's 4' by something like 24', but is folded into 2' X 4' sections. (Costs about $30.) It's enough foam to make at least 4 planes. (And you'll probably destroy the first two pretty quickly, so.... )

You'll be building your planes out of this and a few other materials. Pick up a couple of cheap yardsticks to use as wing spars while you're there.

Now, you'll need new battery packs for those motors, and you'd be better off with 8 cell packs, but they're more expensive too. (They'll have to be large enough cells to handle the amperage draw of those motors.)

You'll need radio equipment which will include transmitter, switch, servos (one for each control surface) and a receiver. You'll also need an electronic speed control capable of handling the amperage that those motors will draw. (Likely at least a 20 to 30 amp ESC.) The ESC is for motor (throttle) control.

You'll also need prop adapters so that you can mount props to the shaft of those motors. Prop adapters should be available at Hobby Lobby. They advertise here.

EZone is dedicated to electric powered flight, and the Foamies forum has threads about building planes out of Fan Fold Foam, also called F3 on Ezone. There's also an electric section on RCU, and you'll get more detail in either of these than you will here, which is 95% glow engine powered stuff.

Welcome to RCU, Good Luck, and above all, have fun!
Dennis-
Old 04-04-2004, 03:44 PM
paintballrdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC eletric Car motors. How can i make a plane from scrath with this!? NEED MAJOR HELP!!!

thanks for the info! would really appreciate some more posts from anyone if they have any comments!