RCU Forums - View Single Post - Brushless motor from a CD drive
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 07:44 PM
johnathan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brushless motor from a CD drive

Will
Thanks for the compliments. I am a hack but find I can make things functional not pretty. Many have perfect windings but all that will do is let you add a couple more turns not worth all the time and effort to make it perfect. Remember these are Outrunner type motors. So the bell spins and must be close on balance not the windings . Just the opposite of what you are used to with the armature or windings spinning inside a magnet. Stator is stationary with the wire. The workload or prop is attached to the shaft and bell unit that spins. Very simple idea and very effective. I have never been involved with slot cars but understand they are brusshed motors differant animal !

Yes use magnet wire . These are 20mm stators and 26ga works great. Here is a triple stator I am working on but we have to machine more parts for it just yet. It should turn props direct that a geared speed 400 could only do. Will keep you posted. Not that I am connected with this site but I do buy my parts from gobrushless.com . New site just a guy that is starting out and got the supply going out of convince. We were all scurrying around trying to find used cdrom drives to rob parts from. Of course many different parts and hard to come up with uniform sizes. This guy went directly to the manufacture and bought the parts in bulk. Allowing many users to test each others designs to find out what is optimum.

Remember that you must use a brush less speed controller with these and make sure you are following instructions before hooking up. Lots and lots of fun for me to have a hand in making my own motor. Make no mistake if you don't enjoy building and are an ARF guy you are better off buy a factory mfg motor as the prices are falling from competition. I own several. But these are what has got my attention now.It has just been going on now with the other forum for a few weeks on the particular parts. So I am very excited and going to have every thing I fly brush less ha ha. Good luck Johanthan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24568.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	121552   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44541.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	121553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62811.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	25.1 KB