RCU Forums - View Single Post - Li-Po Batteries
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2004, 06:27 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Li-Po Batteries

ORIGINAL: Phil Cole

The reason I posted the video was to show that Dave Brown was not crying wolf. Lithium batteries do have associated hazards, and they are new, so not everyone may be aware of the hazards. At the same time, the risk they pose is accepted if the users know what they are doing.

I would have the same reaction to someone pouring gasoline with a lighted cigarette in their mouth as I would to someone charging a Li battery in an unsafe situation. Someone who's managed to not start a fire after performing either act many times can get complacent, and defensive if you point it out to them.

At the same time, I didn't anticipate reactions like the Crashmasters'. I can see some replies here whose authors may have the impression that LiPo packs are flying incendiary devices. Others say they have a large number of successful LiPo powered flights.

What I want is that everyone is at least aware of the Li battery hazard, AND that there are simple precautions that will reduce the hazard to acceptable levels, as there are precautions to be taken with the use of gasoline, kerosene, and methanol.

What I don't want to see is club members who see the LiPo and say "I heard these are dangerous. We have to ban them", as happens with helicopters, turbines, and other things that result from the application of technology. The Li users also need to acknowledge the hazards and not ignore them. I have yet to see a LiPo user that doesn't acknowledge the potential hazard, but there will be a few, like the people who think you can drive an SUV like a car.
Level headed and thoughtful as always, Phil.

I want to make a couple of points.

First, I have bought several lipos...I have actually purchased 11 packs, one was given to me by a buddy. Every one of the packs I purchased had extensive warnings and a full sheet of instructions. Six of the packs have a warning lable affixed to them that says " By removing this tag, you acknowledge that you have read the warnings..." or such. So by simply purchasing the packs, I also purchased the warnings to go with them.

Second, I have purchased these packs from a couple of online shops and have shopped around at a few more. Most (not all) have their page set up where you have to read the entire warning and click agree before you can even get to the price list. Again, just by purchasing the packs I have read the warnings.

Third, I don't want to burn my house down, or my car, or my flying field. Sure I'm going to be careful! After reading all the stuff on the internet, I was more than a little concerned about the dangers. I also reload rifle ammuntion in my home, literally a powder keg (small keg) and I don't want that to blow up, either. But after selecting a dedicated charger and being careful, I have thus far avoided any of the pitfalls of Lipo charging. Never had a reload mis-fire, either.

Fourth, in the email (I didn't get one, but I know the AMA has my email address..I renew online) it says to not make packs from loose cells. Why is that?? The AMA has no idea of my level of expertise. The one pack I have that I didn't buy, the one given to me, is assembled from loose cells. It is every bit as professionally assembled as the commercially available batteries. Are we not, after all, modelers??

Fifth, while I agree that there is some risk associated with the misuse of Lipos, I don't think they are inherently more dangerous than many other products common to model aviation. Certain glues, paints, thinners, fuels, engines, all have the potential to cause just as much damage to property or health as Lipos. It's just that Lipos are..what was the phrase?...a wonderful new curse?? They are the new danger, the new threat of the week.

What irks me over the whole matter is I feel I should be able to decide, on my own, whether or not I am willing to accept the responsibility of using this new technology and doing it safely. And the choir will chime in, just don't bring that stuff to an AMA field. Dave says it's bad. Well, it's going to be hard to stuff the genie back into the bottle. If the Luddites had their way, that's what would have to happen. And all of the people that were enjoying them in a safe manner would just be out of luck.

I guess time will tell how aggressive the AMA will be in regulating them. Maybe not at all. I just don't want to go quietly away, I enjoy what Lipos bring to the table and with recent SC actions as my barometer I wanted to let it be known I wasn't just gonna roll over again.