RCU Forums - View Single Post - Brushless motor from a CD drive
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2004, 08:17 AM
bz1mcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brushless motor from a CD drive

ORIGINAL: jeremygaughan

I used 15 winds, twelve 5x5x1 magnets, three bearings in the brass tube, and a stack of tiny washers to get enough clearence between the can and the stator. How do you guys get enough clearence on the stator, using a tiny wheel collar? .... How do you get that magnet ring out anyway, I tried getting it very hot and that didn't work. I ended up grinding it with a dremmel and then scrapping the rest out.
The biggest question I have is about speed. I don't want much torqe, I just want speed, should I go high winds with less magnets or low winds with less magnets or.....?
Jeremy
Less winds, and larger wire (lower gage) give more speed and more amps. At 15 turns you are about as low as most guys are going, but you can go lower say to 12 or even 10 if your battery will tolerate the amp draw. Also if your not already connected in delta that will have the same effect as reducing turns. That does not require rewinding, just connect the ends differently.

For speed Six magnets is better than twelve. You can use the same magnets; just arrange them as
NNSSNNSSNNSS instead of NSNSNS... The pairs of magnets will try to repel each other, so you need to hold them together till the CA sets.

Removing magnet rings is always messy, and you risk damage to the can. I have found an overnight soak in acetone helps. It softens the glue and others say it makes the magnet ring more brittle.

Three bearings on one shaft is unusual. The have to have near perfect alignment to avoid binding or drag. If they are well aligned, the shaft is perfectly straight etc. then only two will be supporting the shaft anyway. Take the center bearing out; it can only cause trouble.