RCU Forums - View Single Post - Thunder Tiger Pro 46 - Dead stick
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2002, 04:59 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Start a thought process here???

I have done the break-in of starting the engine for 2-3 min and let it cool. I have repeated this about 10 times.
My intent here is to start a thought process.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the TT 46 pro is an ABC engine. As such the break-in process should be a bit more rigorous than indicated above. My approach would have been:

1.) Leaving the low-speed needle at factory default, turn high about 3-4 turns out. Start engine, leave the glow on, and adjust the high until you get a good sloppy 2-stroke rich setting. You want to stay away from the sloppy 4-stroke setting here because it is an ABC engine and you want it to get hot. Remove the glow and let engine run until fuel tank (~8-10 ozs) is empty. Don't worry about idle or transition here. Let cool for about 10 minutes.

2.) Essentually repeat what you did with step 1 above for an additional tank of fuel. Don't worry about idle or transition here. Let cool for about 10 minutes.

3.) Start the engine as you did with 1 & 2 above, remove glow, but after a few minutes adjust the high speed needle for max rpm and then back off about 400rpm. Now bring the throttle down to the slowest idle you can get without stalling the engine -- it probably wont go much below 3000rpm. Shutdown engine.

4.) Restart engine and further adjust for lowest idle with glow still attached. Remove glow. If the engine immediately dies here I would start to think a new type glow plug would be needed. I recommend OS A3 or #8 for the TT Pro 46.

5.) After you've got an idle (still rough) and good transition its time to adjust for pure idle. The recommendation I see the most of is the finger pinch method. With the engine running at high idle, pinch the fuel line. If there is an immediate surge the engine is too rich -- close low speed needle 1/8th turn and repeat. Do this until the engine does not surge.

6.) Re-adjust the highspeed and if needed then the low speed using the steps above.

By the time your done with the above you should have an engine that starts relatively easy, idles like a dream, and transitions smoothly. Later as the engine further breaks in you might be able to coax a little more on the high end.