RCU Forums - View Single Post - delta drag
Thread: delta drag
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 03:51 PM
banktoturn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default delta drag

Ollie,

I'm not much of a builder, so I could probably not reproduce an airfoil faithfully enough to get the benefits of a laminar section. I have been thinking about the things I could do crudely but effectively. Since all these blistering speed designs seem to be launched rather than taken off, I would be inclined to go with the smallest wing that would sustain level flight at low angle of attack, with sweep for landing, if possible. The picture in my head is closer to an arrow or missile than any kind of scale plane. Picture AKMac'c beautiful, clean, mid-wing design, but with about a third of the wing area, and possibly a radical leading edge sweep, if you decide there is any hope of doing a traditional landing. If you give up on landing, then I would consider just cutting off AKMac's wing 1/3 of the way out from the root, and adjusting the stabilizer accordingly. I am fond of the symmetric tail feathers of a missile, just to let people know at a glance what your intent is.

Of course, if you could do all this and use the best section as well, that would be ideal. If you keep the angle of attack low in level flight, even a low aspect ratio wing might get the benefit of the efficient section, but I don't know about sweep.

It would be fun to build, but I couldn't fly it, so I may never know.

Thanks,

banktoturn