RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skooter II Remember this model
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2002, 07:56 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skooter II Remember this model

Back in the 80's, the Skooter II was my favorite airplane for fun flies and general sport flying. Over the years I had at least six of them. I always kept a kit on the shelf just in case I trashed one and needed one on a hurry. I flew them with everything from a worn out K&B 40 to an OS 45FSR on a tuned pipe. I found one on the old RCO for sale for $40 and got it together the weekend after UPS left it on my doorstep. I used a new OS 32sx on it and it was the best flying one I ever had. It only weighed 3lbs 4 oz. It flew even better than I remembered them back in the 80's. I added a canopy and a small foam turtledeck and it really looked good. Unfortunatley, it was lost when I got in a hurry at the field and took off with out checking the ailerons. Adding the canopy and turtledeck eliminated nearly all roll caused by rudder so when I took off I had no aileron control and I watched it do a slow roll into the pavement. Sadly there wasn't enough left to salvage for a rebuild.
I have contacted Lonestar many times about getting them back into production. They keep saying they are going to start but I haven't seen any yet.
I'd give $50 for a complete kit if anyone has one plus I'll pay shipping. They only cost 32.95 new back in the 80's.
I prefered the wing with the "kromekote" paper wing covering instead of sheeting with balsa. It went together much faster.
If you hear they are available again LET ME KNOW! I'll take two.
Later,,,basmntdweller