RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/3 Scale WACO YMF-5 Plans or Kit
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2004, 11:48 PM
flyn2high
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/3 Scale WACO YMF-5 Plans or Kit

Thanks for your reply. That is a good point. I know that some companies like Balsa USA and Dynaflite will sell plans to their kits. I will give Proctor and Genisis a try but I don't hold out too much hope. Since it is a current kit they may be reluctant to sell me the plans. I purchased Dynaflite PT-19 plans. The drawings did not give any patterns for formers or ribs. I had to take the small die cut diagrams that were in the manual and blow them up to full scale. It worked out good though.

I think it is Jim Pepino 1/4 scale plans from Scale Plans and Photo Service that you mention. If I purchased the originals I could take them down to our local blue print shop and they would be able to blow them up. They have to increase the size by 33.3% to get from 1/4 to 1/3 scale. Usually the plans are provided on sheets that are 34" high rolled sheet. The 1/3 scale plans would be 45.33" high. The largest sheet at the blue-printers is 34" but It would be no problem to tape an extra 11.33" sheet to 34" sheet after both were enlarged. It should only be about $5.00 to $10.00 a sheet.

My thought is that I may have more problems with sizing material. For example if 1/8" ply is called for then it should be sized to .166" which is close to 5/32 and 1/4" is about 5/16". Some of the stock sizes will be difficult to find so I will have to use my best judgment.

I have built 3 scratch built planes so far and I enjoy cutting out my own parts, but I have not given up on the kit yet.

I will give Proctor and Genesis a call tomorrow and let you know.

Lou