RCU Forums - View Single Post - What's up with Iron Bay
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: What's up with Iron Bay

Iron Bay's Byron line is a secondary business to their real bread an butter, full scale aviation service. Byron Godberson's original model business was also a secondary business but his personal hobby too. He poured a lot of money into spoiling the modelers with a vast inventory but built a great, loyal following. I think the fact the family shut down the business after Mr. Godberson's health failed is an indicator it not only was unprofitable but a money pit to boot.

I have received terrific, and prompt service from Iron Bay for Mustang parts. Sure the phone rings away sometimes but they have another profit making business to run. When they do answer, I have had their full attention but I do keep my conversations brief.

Customer service in the hobby industry is a tough one. In low personnel environments one can spend all day getting their ear bent by the yakety-yak modeler who has nothing else to do that day. As far as email, it too can be just as time consuming. After all, you aren't the only person telephoning or sending email.

As far as accessory items like Robart retracts, why is it Iron Bay's problem if they are not in stock. By Robart's own admission, it takes eight weeks to get a set....so why don't they have them in stock?

Many modelers are a spoiled lot. They will take months researching their next project and making a want/need list. One morning they pick up the phone to place orders then become angry because something is not readily available. I get the other end from some guys who spend the same months building the beast (or having it built) then call me for a custom set of decals. Of course they want them by the weekend "cause the baby is ready to go and waiting on decals".

Give Iron Bay the benefit of having revived the Byron line (at considerable cost I understand) and again making available these fine kits. It takes time and money.