Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What's up with Iron Bay

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What's up with Iron Bay

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 02:51 PM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What's up with Iron Bay

Is anyone else having as difficult a time as I am with both getting through to Iron Bay and/or receiving items ordered? I have been waiting for months to get a set of retracts for my Trojan and have not been able to contact them for almost as long to ask for the status. The line is either busy or no one answers. Anybody out there have a set of retracts for me????
Old 09-20-2004, 05:41 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What's up with Iron Bay

Mark,

You're not gonna believe this! I was bucks up about a week ago and have always wanted one of the Iron Bay Hellcats. Two thoughts ran through my mind: I have to get in touch with Mark Shapiro as I recall you having the best looking Hellcat I've ever seen and I need to get a quote on everything I'll need from Iron Bay.

I tried calling Iron Bay for over two and a half hours last Tuesday beginning around 9:30am. The phone was busy. I called like every fifteen minutes. Busy. Finally, I got an answer. I told the lady that I had been trying to get through for so long and she chuckled. Huh?! I then told her that they needed to get an e-mail address posted on their website but she said that they wouldn't / couldn't as they didn't have time for that.............some such nonsense.

I got the quote. The prices were good but the Robarts were out of stock.........on order........."don't know when they'll be in". Between the busy phone signal, the indifference to my e-mail suggestion and the "don't know when they'll be in" remark, I decided to spend my money elsewhere.

I hope your luck turns around with them, Mark. Take care.

Al
Old 09-20-2004, 07:09 PM
MarkShapiro

I'll tell you what, Al. That makes me very suspicious about the long-term health of Iron Bay. Don't get me wrong, I love their products and absolutely love my Hellcat. I don't want to start any rumors, but what else could one think?? You are right. Why not consider your suggestion to get something as simple as an e-mail address? When I was able to get ahold of them, they told me the same thing they told you "we don't have any in stock and we don't know when they'll be in." This leads me to believe that they don't have any in stock because Robart has cut off their credit. I mean for them not to have the Robart 150's for the Hellcat is ridiculous. I can understand not keeping a large stock of Trojan gear because that model is not as popular, but Robart 150's?? That is the same gear they use on their Corsair! By the way, thanks for your compliment on my Cat. Keep looking here on RCU because I have seen kits available from time to time. Otherwise, go bigger and get the Ziroli. If you do get the Hellcat, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Bob101

I called them to get a regulator a while back. Took a while to get in touch with them - the phone just rang rang.

Finally I get in touch with them and say I want to order a regulator.

After 5 minutes of "Let me find the order pad...hold on a minute"

Ok give me your shipping address and credit card number.... another 5 minutes later..

"Oh we're out of those, been out for a few weeks and it will be like 10 more weeks before we can ship that"

Gee thanks for wasting 10-15 minutes of my time, could have told me that first thing.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:22 PM
the-plumber

This may sound a bit naive, but can't you buy the retracts from _Robart_ ?

Looks like standard Robart gear part numbers . . .
Old 09-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Veltro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Hellcat kit from Iron Bay when they first became available in late 2001. It took me five months to get it, but I did get it. I had to send several components back for quality control issues and they turned them around in about a month and a half. I considered them "wishy-washy" rather than intentionally trying to rip you off like some other companies I have dealt with over the years. (Can anyone say Innovative Model Products?).

They answered the phone back then. It was a constant "we should have it next week," "oh, we had to hire a new fiberglass guy and it took longer than we thought it would," "Robart will have them for us next week," etc. (Said Robart: They don't have any orders in with us!).

Mark - I'd check with Robart if you want to find out the status of your order. If you order it directly from them, you might get it faster, too.

- Jay
Old 09-20-2004, 10:18 PM
MarkShapiro

I can definately go directly to Robart, but I was looking to save the additional $50.00 that Robart charges to uy it from them. Boy, wish I had paid the extra 50! Even Robart said it would take them about 8 weeks to make the gear. At least I know it will be coming though. Think I'll go through them. Sounds like Iron Bay is really going through tough times. Sorry to see it.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Veltro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to see that Iron Bay appears to be having problems, too. They seemed to be trying really hard to get it right when I dealth with them back in 2001.

At the time I bought my kit, there was no break buying the gear from them. Robart should at least be able to tell you if Iron Bay even has any T-28 gear orders in with them. When I was having problems getting my F6F gear from Iron Bay, they were telling me Robart should have them in the next few weeks and Robart was telling me they had no orders from Iron Bay. That always send a shiver up your spine!

Last I had heard, Iron Bay had picked up some government aerospace subcontracts. If that is true, hopefully they haven't abandoned the model airplane business.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:29 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

I called them last year to order a Corsair, they told me it would be 2 months before I would receive it,
I waited about 2 months and called and while I was on Hold, The plane showed up. When the Gal came back on the line,
She told me It had shipped. I was happy with the service, But I want the Trojan now and am afraid to order.
Robart Is Great, I sold the T-F 1/5 gear on e-bay and had the smaller wheels I called Robart and they traded me for the correct ones But they wanted to see them and I did pay the difference. That also was a great Deal. Robart is a great company. We are lucky to have them around, I remember when they weren't.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:00 PM
gow589

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

It is this way with so many things. It's amazing how we complain about outsourcing when our companies and our people can't or wont provide the service.

G
Old 09-27-2004, 04:59 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Hi Mark:
Believe me I waited 2 months for my order from of gear for my SBC and the same amount of time for my 5!QUOT! wheels. If your name isn't !QUOT!b!QUOT! or someone like that you are way to the back of their list. Mean time my builder has two months of waiting to get them,,, no wonder people are dropping out of this hobby and going to park flyer's.

Dave
Old 09-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

I ordered my corsair from them last year and it came in the time they promised: 6 weeks.
The kit was also very high quality couldn't be happier. I have since ordered numerous replacement parts (most recently a cowl on monday) for a byron corsair I am restoring and the customer service and turn around time has been really good! (I'm pretty tough to sastify since I grew up in NYC and can't wait for anything).
I can't dispute your experiences I can only give you mine. I hope they don't go out of buisiness because they plan to bring back the mustang and reduction drive amoung other kits.
Peter
Old 09-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered a Purr Power system for a G 62 about a month and a half ago. They had them in stock and shipped it to me within the week. They didn't tell me at the time that the manifold that mounts on the engine that connects to the mount was on backorder. I still haven't received it and they don't know when they will be in. Don't know why they sell the whole system and the manifold is not with it. Very Frustrating.
Fred
Old 09-29-2004, 07:33 PM
MarkShapiro

Update. . . I spoke to Iron Bay two days ago. She told me that they have four orders pending on the Trojan retracts from Robart. According to her, she is very frustrated with Robart for not getting them the gear quicker. They are very nice at Iron Bay and I love their kits; good quality stuff and beautiful glass work. Nevertheless, a key element of any successful retail establishment is to have inventory on hand. Clearly one does not want to overstock, but based on some of the posts here, it is clear to me that Iron Bay could do better in this department. Bottom line, I am still standing by. By the way, I called Robart directly. They advised it would take a minimum of eight weeks to get the gear. At this point, I'm not sure what to do so I think I'll give a littel more time before ordering directly from Robart.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Warbirdz01

I had thought about giving Iron Bay a shot with a Hellcat.....I usually build Ziroli or Don Smith......but after all this......I'll just build the Ziroli Hellcat..........can't say enough nice things about them.....and don't feel like "Rolling-the-Dice"............Bill........
Old 09-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Iron Bay's Byron line is a secondary business to their real bread an butter, full scale aviation service. Byron Godberson's original model business was also a secondary business but his personal hobby too. He poured a lot of money into spoiling the modelers with a vast inventory but built a great, loyal following. I think the fact the family shut down the business after Mr. Godberson's health failed is an indicator it not only was unprofitable but a money pit to boot.

I have received terrific, and prompt service from Iron Bay for Mustang parts. Sure the phone rings away sometimes but they have another profit making business to run. When they do answer, I have had their full attention but I do keep my conversations brief.

Customer service in the hobby industry is a tough one. In low personnel environments one can spend all day getting their ear bent by the yakety-yak modeler who has nothing else to do that day. As far as email, it too can be just as time consuming. After all, you aren't the only person telephoning or sending email.

As far as accessory items like Robart retracts, why is it Iron Bay's problem if they are not in stock. By Robart's own admission, it takes eight weeks to get a set....so why don't they have them in stock?

Many modelers are a spoiled lot. They will take months researching their next project and making a want/need list. One morning they pick up the phone to place orders then become angry because something is not readily available. I get the other end from some guys who spend the same months building the beast (or having it built) then call me for a custom set of decals. Of course they want them by the weekend "cause the baby is ready to go and waiting on decals".

Give Iron Bay the benefit of having revived the Byron line (at considerable cost I understand) and again making available these fine kits. It takes time and money.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:28 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

I called them a few months back for a new canopy for my A-4 and they said their plastic was out of stock and it would be a few weeks to get one. i called back then and ordered one and got it a couple weeks later. so my simple order came in without much trouble.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:19 PM
popierre
My Feedback: (11)

I had good experience with them, sure I had to call a few times to get somebody on the phone however I got good service once I got through. I order some parts for the Byron purrpower and canopy for the Hellcat, she even split the order for me, good shipping and price. I meet the new owner at the Toledo show and it is not easy task to revive the Byron line. I crashed my Hellcat at the warbirds over IN, still miss the plane badly, good flying plane and a hot rod witht the 4.2, finishing the Corsair right now

Pierre
Old 09-30-2004, 04:57 PM
MarkShapiro

I'm the last guy to Bash Iron Bay/Byron. I love the kits and own quite a few. Moreover, whenever the phone does get answered, they couldn't be nicer. Nevertheless, that does not mean that they are beyond critisism. Even if it is a secondary business for the owners of Iron Bay, I think waiting for several months for any item is unreasonable. Does not mean for a second that I won't buy another kit from them and would not discourage anyone else from doing so. Just understand that getting some parts may take a while.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:23 PM
mbuck515

we've had to order a few parts for the t-28 such as new blades for the byron 3-bladed prop, a new spinner fot the hub, a new hub, and a new 2 canopy's very fast and very nice people to deal with. Mark the T-28 flys awsome believe me it will be worth the wait for sure, it has a 4.2 sachs in it for power the owner is john_redsox, he let me take it to the dogs show a couple weeks ago, and all i can say is wow, people love this plane, i got my first ever intrview with sks video, i was told it will be in magazines, i felt like a celeberty, plus it looked awsome flying at wright patt at dusk its a very fun easy and steady plane, just like a tranier should be!...and its one of the few trickle warbird that will constintly land on its mains with half flap and full speed breaks.

just my 2 cents
Mitch
Old 09-30-2004, 10:21 PM
MarkShapiro

Well Mitch, therein lies my frustration. The kit is in the box and it looks awesome. I'm dying to build it. Now you've gone and told me that it flies great as well (not that I had any doubt that it would). The waiting is killing me!!! Please Iron Bay/Robart, get me my retracts!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 11:26 AM
mbuck515

Mark,
have you tried or thought about calling sierra persion and see if he can make you up a set for the T-28?

Mitch
Old 10-02-2004, 11:53 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Dick, All business have to make the same efforts to satisfy their customers. Some are successful and others are not. Those who are not to typically go out of business. Its a global market we have to compete in and modelers aren't so different from any other type of customer. Customers want what you advertise and are willing to pay for that privilidge. In return they have an expectation of you meeting your end of the process. I would argue that its many of the suppliers who are spoiled and not the other way around. These small niche markets, with lack of real competition put them in the drivers seat. If the dollars were truely there then someone would step up to the plate with product and service to meet the demand. That does happen but the Hobby industry is a small one by comparison so it is what it remains to be.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Bob,

I agree that anyone already in, or developing a business, needs to service customers the best they can. Likewise modelers need to understand many hobby related suppliers are a one or two man band that cannot spend hours on the phone or responding to lengthy email and get any product produced. There certainly has to be a balance to succeed but the demand is always on the supplier to bend over backward.

I have a wonderful customer base in my decal business, 100% of which are great people. New business is 95% to 5%. 95% are the guys willing to work through the custom art and decal process, 5% are the guys who leave three of four telephone messages within an hour and by the end are cursing you for not returning his phone call immediately (gee, I guess I can't leave for lunch or take deliveries to the Post Office). When you do return the call, you get ripped for running a shoddy business with lousy customer support, then he runs right to the internet to tell everyone about the poor treatment he received.

They blanket saying, "The customer is always right" is nonsense. You can waste the time of the good 95%, who are right, by catering to the 5% who want their butt kissed. That isn't the case in this thread but it is a good opportunity to remind fellow modelers our part of the world business is, as you mentioned, miniscule and the small or specialized resources available should be appreciated and supported.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:38 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Dick, I would agree that some people are just overly demanding. I spent 10 years in business and I do understand what you mean. Once in a while there is just no satisfying some people. Some times all one can do is to politely say "thank you, and if I can be of help in the future please let me know". I'm glad to hear of your sucess, it shows your attention to detail and a commitment to your customers. Do you have a web site? Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.