RCU Forums - View Single Post - Which 40 Size Cub?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 09:36 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Which 40 Size Cub?

ORIGINAL: cwhite

Thanks for the great info khodges. I think I'll go for the Sig kit. I like the laser parts, two piece wing and most of all the looks. I've also noticed it has a longer fuse than the Goldberg, by 7 inches. I would think this would make it easier on takeoff. Should I go for the Saito .72 or the .82?
Thanks,
Chris
It probably has a bit longer wingspan than the Goldberg also. If you look at the specs on these kits (Goldberg, GP, Sig, and all the others), you'll see differences in length and wingspan, although they may all be called "1/6", or "1/5" etc. That's just the closest fractional size to whatever actual ratio they used when they scaled down full-size dimensions.

I'd go with the .72. My .65 is more than enough power, it will take off at 1/2 throttle and cruise at 1/4-1/3 throttle turning that big scale prop. I use a 14-6 Master Airscrew K-series. The .72 uses a different bore and stroke arrangement and a smaller case than the .65 and it is actually shorter by about 3mm, it should fit completely within the cowl if you mount it inverted. I put a 10 oz. tank in mine and get 12-15 min flights without worrying about it going dry. I think Sig recommended a 12 oz, I'd use it with a .72.

You'll enjoy how this thing builds, just take your time. I covered mine with Sig Koverall and doped it, but Solartex would look really good on it, as would 21st Century fabric. Good Luck, post building pix.