RCU Forums - View Single Post - what type of glue
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2004, 03:14 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: what type of glue

A lot depends on what is being glued, and personal preferences. Here is what I typically do.

For joining wings, stabs, firewalls, landing gear blocks, and the like, use an epoxy. 30 minute epoxies give longer working times and is stronger than 5 minute. I use both, depending on what I am joining or filling. Epoxy can be mixed with microballoons for creating fillets and can be thined and used to fireproof engine and fuel compartments. Be careful with the use of epoxy because it can soak into the wood and add weight.

For adding skins, laminating and such, I use carpenters glue.

For framing/ general building, either carpenters glue or CA. I use mostly CA for general use.
If the joint is tight, use thin CA. for typical joints, a medium CA will work. For loose joints, or when you need more working time, use a thick CA. Thin CA can be used to 'harden' threads cut into wood for various screw mounts.

There is also polyurithane glues (gorilla glue). This type of glue is moisture activated and expand with a foaming action as it cures. I've used it for robart hinges and attaching horizontal stabs. I've read articles where people use it when planking so they don't have to bevel each plank.

Scott