Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

what type of glue

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

what type of glue

Old 12-25-2004, 10:54 AM
jlobster88
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what type of glue

I am just getting into flying and already have a trainer but, a man which i know gave me a Great Planes Super Kaos 60 kit. I am wondering what type glue is good to use besides CA glue? Should I use wood glue, or would elmers glue work?, also if there are any more tricks about gluing, I would greatly appreshiate it.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:07 AM
sportyxls

Default RE: what type of glue

hello i am far from being a expert but if i would use ca glue and epoxy were it recomends is (landing gear mounting, firewall mounting and tail section propbable) except if you are gluing foam bacause a lot of ca glue will melt foam. good luck and happy flying
Old 12-25-2004, 12:13 PM
jlobster88
My Feedback: (1)

Thank you for the information. The kit is from 1990 so the instructions arn't the best, so all it says is glue, it doesn't specify what type.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Before you start, go to this website and read thoroughly. http://airfieldmodels.com.

It will be the bedst time you ever spent. This man is a master builder.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:55 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While CA's will work in most cases, I avoid them whenever possible for a number of reasons. You will find that any of the carpenter's glues such as Elmers or Titebond will work very well, are completely user friendly (won't cause health problems), clean up easily with water as long as you do it befor it dries and is much less expensive. The only drawback (and that is minor in my thinking) is that you must not move the joints befor they are set. This is usually about a half hour although the joints won't abtain full strength for several hours. If you have to use any epoxy, shyaway from the 5 minute versions. You will have best results with the 30 minute or longer tack times. Even the epoxies require about 24 hours to obtain full strength, even the 5 minute varieties..
Old 12-25-2004, 03:14 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot depends on what is being glued, and personal preferences. Here is what I typically do.

For joining wings, stabs, firewalls, landing gear blocks, and the like, use an epoxy. 30 minute epoxies give longer working times and is stronger than 5 minute. I use both, depending on what I am joining or filling. Epoxy can be mixed with microballoons for creating fillets and can be thined and used to fireproof engine and fuel compartments. Be careful with the use of epoxy because it can soak into the wood and add weight.

For adding skins, laminating and such, I use carpenters glue.

For framing/ general building, either carpenters glue or CA. I use mostly CA for general use.
If the joint is tight, use thin CA. for typical joints, a medium CA will work. For loose joints, or when you need more working time, use a thick CA. Thin CA can be used to 'harden' threads cut into wood for various screw mounts.

There is also polyurithane glues (gorilla glue). This type of glue is moisture activated and expand with a foaming action as it cures. I've used it for robart hinges and attaching horizontal stabs. I've read articles where people use it when planking so they don't have to bevel each plank.

Scott
Old 12-25-2004, 09:33 PM
Sense963
My Feedback: (10)

Your best bet is to find a mentor and learn while doing. This kind of teaching and advice is priceless. Opinions on bulletin boards are varied and most everyone has one. If you're so new to building that you need info on glues, by all means ask, as we were all new at one time, but an experienced helper can guide you through the process of building with a minimum of mistakes and backtracking. Unless the instructions that come with the plane are first rate, and you said they were not, I'd find some local help. Good luck!
Old 12-25-2004, 11:15 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should send the kit to me. No reason I am just an all around good Guy. Anyways for what it is worth, i use 30 Minute epoxy on the landing gear blocks, the firewall, the wing dehidral brace and when I attach the stabilizer and the vertical fin. I usually use ca for the rest of it along with Titebond. If you can find Pica Glueit2it it is a white glue that dries quickly and sands good also. Hope this helps.
Dennis
Just be sure and build it straight. A kaos is an awesome flying plane.