RCU Forums - View Single Post - Complete Begginer, Need Advice.
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 02:06 PM
rusirius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Complete Begginer, Need Advice.

GhossFlyer,
The biggest difference between the heli's is not what they use for power, it's their size... The bigger the ship the more stable she flies. That means the bigger ships are easier to learn on, but unfortunately their larger size also means it's much more expensive to repair. No problem with the electrics, but in my opinion you want to stay away from the micros... Thats a whole 'nother story... Anyway, the Eco is a great ship and yeah, with enough money it can be just as capable as some of the better nitros...

The radio is another story. the 6da is not a computer radio, which means no pitch or throttle curves... The bigger heli's rely on this since you at MINIMUM have 5 channels your controlling... (rudder, throttle, collective pitch, fore/aft cyclic pitch, left/right cyclic pitch). There are a few heli's that have mechanical mixing, which means you don't need throttle and pitch curves, but i'm not familer with them (even enough to be able to tell you their name). There are also a few other differences you'll find with a "heli" radio. The idle-up modes are one... This allows you to have a "normal" mode which means collective pitch and throttle are increased as the stick goes up and decreased as it goes down (all the way down let it spool down to a very slow head speed)... The idle-up modes can very, but generally have a larger negative range (normal mode usually only goes to about -4 degrees negative at full bottom, and idle-up usually goes to about -9), as well as having a "V" shaped curve for the throttle... In other words, as the throttle is in the middle, the throttle servo is at it's lowest point (say 50% throttle).. As you go up, collective pitch is increased and throttle is increased... As you go down from center, collective pitch is decreased, but throttle again is increased. This allows you to give full negative collective pitches while maintaining the head speed. (i.e. you can do aerobatics, 3D manuevers, hang upside down, etc...) In todays world, a computer radio is almost a must for flying heli's.

As a matter a fact, I wouldn't swear to this, but I think the Eco 8 is a CCPM model too... That means the way the swash-plate is driven requires software mixing in a computer radio in the first place.

As for the "fun", well, again the micros are sorta in a category all to themselves... Some people own them, fly them, love them... Other people buy them and hate them... Some people buy them because they are cheaper but end up spending just as much in the end... Others buy them and have a blast and encourage others to do the same. I've flown both the nitros and the micros... My opinion... I can't stand the little buggers... They are a bit more difficult to fly.... Okay, the one I tried was a LOT harder to fly... But they are managable.. I just couldn't get into it myself... Stick with the bigger choppers in my opinion... If you don't like nitro, go for the bigger electrics... You'll be much happier in the end...

Also it wouldn't be fair if I DIDN'T mention a simulator... Not only are they a TON of fun, but you can really learn and experience a lot with them. You can learn to fly on a sim MUCH cheaper than in real life.. I learned to fly heli's on a sim and have YET to have a lawn dart incident.. Any time I attempt a new manuver I practice it religiously on the sim first... I'm convinced that when my time comes (to destroy my bird that is) it will be because of a mechanical failure... Not pilot error... Time will tell..