RCU Forums - View Single Post - Complete Begginer, Need Advice.
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Radd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Complete Begginer, Need Advice.

I suppose I'm getting just as sick of hearing about e-bay as the nitro flyers are about micros......BUT...I suppose we both might as well get use to hearing about them over and over...so if you guys can lay off micro's I'll try not to make anyone feel stupid for buying serious flying machines from idiots,rednecks and sloppy builders that cant fly and want to peddle off broken or cheap worthless crap.....Or distributors that have a boat load of unsellable knock-offs....

I'll tell ya Flyboy and rusirius...I feel like kidnapping both of you... and tying you both up in a chair in a warehouse and forcing you both to become masters at flying micros......( I know ...Iknnow...I'd have to duck tape a tennis ball in your mouths tooooo......) ...I can just hear you now....... ( I'm just kidding around...)....so dont call the heli police...

I've even talked myself out of sending you a perfectly set up machine trusting that you'd send it back......( I know ...I know...you wouldn't touch it with a ten foot antenna...).... so I talked myself out of it....

Let me just say a couple things though.....

Micros are not just manageable.....they can be mastered and flown with great precision....once mastered crashes become rare......a micro built with knowledge can hover hands off...They can provide every bit as much adrenaline as any helicopter.....But you must think in different terms.....instead viewing a large sky you must imagine the extreme difficulties of a tiny sky.....You must do micro builders the honor and respect of picturing a flying field the size of a coffee table......or doing ferris wheels under the coffee table....

You see...right now it is 16 degrees outside.....its night time....the wind is blowing....it's dark and miserable......My wife is on the couch in the same room ...my son is playing on the floor.....My work bench is a TV tray in front of the TV....The house is warm and my family is happy.....

I am staring at the linkages....tucking in the wires....letting my eyes roam around the machine for any slight flaw.......and...It's been my hobby for many years now....I am looking at it.....I can feel the ball joints and the connections....everything is solid and balanced....everything is tight as it should be or loose and flowing.....

I have watched the movie with my family...we have laughed and eaten popcorn and teased each other....It's getting late.....the commercial comes on TV.....

I tell my boy to go and sit with his mother and I set my micro on the floor in front of the TV.......

Now heres the strange part......and it's true......

I have many many Helicopters down stairs......from mid size electrics all the way up to gasoline birds that can cut a car in half......but.....

As I begin to spin up this tiny little toy in the family room I dont just see a micro helicopter.... I see... Leonardo Da Vinci....I see the Wright bothers .....I see the many thousands of years that men dreamed about flying.....watching eagles and sparrows....

And...I'm going to fly.....I'm going to fly in my living room......just like the small child I was building Revel models in my bedroom ...hoping some day I could fly one ......AROUND MY HOUSE....

The child inside of me has followed a dream that came true......and...a dream that Da Vinci never saw.....

Today they unveiled the new air bus...It can carry 840 passengers!.......unbelievable!........and today.....I can watch the sparkle in my sons eyes as he watches me fly down the hallway turn around and come back.....and ....LAND ON THE TV TRAY.....

truth is....somewhere at this moment someone is watching a Nitro fly on a grass covered field doing wild 3D.....and thinking it's a stupid moronic waste of money....just a toy that a grown man should just grow up and not throw his money away.....

now I know...thats not your point.....your point is about newbies wasting money on crap that doesnt fly.....and gives helicopters a bad name....But just imagine how I feel?......I feel worse about it than you ever will.....I love micros ( and large ones too ).....How do I feel when someone gets ripped off on a cheap piece of crap??.......I feel bad.....and thats why I'm here.......

But ....help is what is needed....they come here looking for help...not opinions without a full working knowledge of the machines we are attacking.....that makes no sense....and as I said before ...It's much easier to direct flyers else where.....and takes less typing...

Ghosstflyer.....

You will be in a world of hurt if you buy an Eco8 with your radio......a mechanical eco can be set up and flown..I have done it.....And it freaked me totally out.....I have a friend named Luxor who has one and flys it well....but just for kicks....( he has mostly CCPM machines).....he also was a mechanic for Nascar......so...( what does that tell you?)......I'll tell you straight up....dont even think about it....But if your a hard head I will get you in touch with him......I have also flown one with your radio......its been years and if memory serves me...It only has three points to its curves.....which is like speed shifting an old model t ......So....your either going to have to wait and buy a nicer radio and machine or down size to a fixed pitch machine.....if you dont want micro then a Corona is a backyard flyer that is a size above micro....( you can fly it with your radio and into a wall without damage..)...it is old technology though..

Ikarus has stated that they will be releasing two new machines that can 3D so the Eco-8 has probably run its course...( I can hear them chiseling the grave stone now..)....But thats all the info that I have on it...

We all are friends here?......and all love the same hobby?.....humm?......well....It's five minutes to 8 o:clock pm now......and I've just charged up the batteries in a tweaked out killer hornet.....I should do some work before I hit the sack.....BUT I'M GOING TO FLY BEFORE I DO....

good night friends....