RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP YardStick Help (Research B4 U Buy)
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Flame500000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP YardStick Help (Research B4 U Buy)

I also bought a yardstick as part of a list of things I got to start off with (7CAF, 2 HS-55's, r114f, 7.2 nimh battery, ac great planes pd charger, and a c-10 speed control) as you could see i had high hopes and wanted compatibility with future planes. I ended up spending around 500 dollars and love everything but the plane it looks cool but seems to be extraordinarily under powered and all the plastic pars are junk. The box says assembles in 1 hour it took about 3-4. I enjoyed but the carbon fiber boom is horribly inconsistent the mounts would get stuck and suddenly break free.
I practiced in the dark with about 4 inches of snow as a cushion after 20 mins i was consistently getting it off the ground and going about 100 ft until i had a choice between a brick post or a hard landing. The landing broke both motor mounts (surprising... not) so some aspen wood, careful dremel work, and some zip ties and i was back out. I started getting good enough that the dark was becoming a problem.
2 days later after the blizzard stopped i went out in a foot of snow to try again and go about 1-15, 45 second flights in. I couldn't fix the snapped off landing gear so i figure the plane will last out the snow and it will be totaled by then so now i actually get to the meat of the question.
1. Am I just a bad flyer or is the plane junk and if so what can i do to make it better because i am very resourceful?
2. Is the GWS slow stick better/more durable/easier to fly and would it make a good replacement?

PS- I am coming off a firebird XL which over about 2 years has been through 4 wings 2 tails and a lot of packing tape repairs so maby that will give some incite as to how good/bad a pilot i am because i thought it was crap.
Sorry for the lengthy post