RCU Forums - View Single Post - How NOT to run a hobby shop
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How NOT to run a hobby shop

Well I just had to respond to this. I have worked for the last 25 years full and part time in the hobby business both at manufactures and at a shop here in MD. We try to help everyone who comes in but after a while you can tell who are what we called posers. People who pose as customers only to tie you up for as long as you will talk to them and answer the questions they have only to walk out and spend the money mail order because they got the info they needed to decide if they wanted product X and then they asked for a price match or not and then they left never to be seen again; until X product didn't work and now it was our problem somehow. I guess it is the sign of the times but I am glad as can be that I am not trying to make a living in the business anymore. People demanding service and answers to questions after they spent money somewhere else and getting mad if you can't or won't help them. With the average profit after paying the bills to be open of about 10% on the dollar how much time to do think someone who has never seen you before with a mailorder product in their shop wants to give you? Or worse yet remebers that you tied them up for an hour only to walk back in with product X you bought somewhere because it was cheaper. A store cost someone ( The owner ) money just to be open, Think about it before you decide where to spend you money after you get your info for free.