Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

How NOT to run a hobby shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 08:00 PM
manateemedia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How NOT to run a hobby shop

Sigh... So I go to my local hobby shop which is the only one in about a 35 mile radius (I won't mention which one but let's just
say it's the only one in Branson, MO) with the intention of buying some supplies. I bring in my nippy motor and controller
to see if they have some connectors, wires, props and whatever else I might decide to buy. As soon as I start to
ask what I might need one guy (perhaps the owner) asked me where I bought my stuff. I said on the Internet, to which
he replies "well, couldn't they answer your question?".

I have to say I was a bit amazed. He then mentioned that "they didn't mind helping me out if I bought stuff
from them, but when you come in here with $200 worth of stuff it is frustrating".

Ok, I can totally understand. But... I was going to buy some stuff. I have bought many things from them in the past.
I was even going to buy a nippy motor if they had one in stock, but they didn't. I have bought wings, props, batteries, servos
a $70 battery charger and have brought my friend in as well. No, I haven't bought a plane there, but I'm brand new to the hobby
and last year I started late. Maybe this year I would have bought a plane or car from them.

Now I will buy nothing from them. I won't recommend them to anyone else. And now, if you are in the Branson area, I recommend
you don't go there either.

I can understand if I never bought anything from them and I came in all the time asking them annoying questions. But that's not the case.
I probably spent around $300 there last year. I know that's not a lot, but hey... it's better than nothing. Oh well, perhaps he just had a
bad day. It happens to all of us. I thought I bought enough stuff from them that perhaps they recognized me. I would bet money that
he's probably the same guy that runs the local airfield as he had quite an attitude when I attempted to get involved in their little club
as well.

One thing I never expected with this hobby is the attitude of some that have been in it for awhile. Sheesh! How dare I think that I am
WORTHY enough to get into the hobby of flying R/C airplanes! Who do I think I am?

Anyway, to anyone who wants to run a successful business, I recommend reading this:

The Law of 250

The Law of 250 states that every person knows at least 250 other people. For example, if you were to make a list of people to invite to your wedding, you would likely be able to come up with about 250 people. These people might not appear to be outstanding first-level job networking contacts, but many will be able to refer you to others who are.

Expanding the concept of the Law of 250 further, each one of your contacts knows an additional 250 people. Yes, there may be some overlap in the 250, especially with a family member or close friend. But the exponential multiplying factor of the additional contacts is what makes networking so potentially valuable in your job search.

Use the Law of 250 as inspiration to contact one more person to enter into your personal network. Although you may not find your next job within your 250, it is very likely that it may exist within someone else's 250.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:25 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: How NOT to run a hobby shop

Sadly, I received a similar response at a shop near me.......

Went in with several questions, and told the person I was speaking to that I had purchased an ARF and engine at Tower online.....

Brick wall went up.... attitude on high....was quite sad actually

If I need fuel or a push rod, I go back, if I need something big, I order online.......
Old 01-28-2005, 08:35 PM
manateemedia

I think local hobby shops need to wake up and realize the internet is here and is not going to go away. Local shops could try to match
competitors prices. Or, maybe the best thing for them to do is have a smaller store that only sells smaller parts and stay away from
the bigger stuff. Clearly they are threatened... and I can understand it irritates them... but attacking the customer is not a way
to solve the problem! [:'(]
Old 01-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Bummer on your LHS, they should treat regulars customers like family. Me, I'm short of receiving birthdays and aniversary cards from my LHS ( Colpar Hobbies, Aurora, Co), I can go buy a stick of balsa for just .20 cents or ask questions on airplanes they don't sell and get great support. They will even match the competitors price, I also find that they are cheaper than Tower Hobbies and Servo City on certain items, if not equal[X(]
Joe
Old 01-28-2005, 08:52 PM
exeter_acres

I am willing to pay a bit more at my LHS for the assistance and a friendly face. but even that is hard to come by....
Old 01-28-2005, 09:32 PM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Hi;Just wondered if you saids Branson were you referring to the shop in Hollister?If not there is a shop there also.Kind of funny place as I remember upstairs of a building.Was just down looking at a lot we own in Hollister and thought would see if any shope around.Talked to them for a bit wasn't buying anything just asking about the local flying etc.THis was about a year ago so who knows if still there.Good luck.Interesting I am in Yuma Az,we have no shops here so all is on internet!Saw a place with a hobby shop sign and went in had a few plastic models said he got out of it lost money on the hobby end,Has a gun shop too.Said the internet iskilling the local shops.I know of thousands of dollars here that go to the internet because there is no one here.If he had stuff never got the word out to anyone,can't run a business in a vacumn!Most of us would much rather pay a little more for the convienece of having a shop!THink some of these shops should look in the mirror whenb they complain!
Old 01-28-2005, 09:52 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

This seems to be becoming an increasing problem with many local hobby shops..where I live there are none real close..but there are some within a 40 mile drive...when I first started in this hobby about a year ago..and was looking for my 1st begginer plane..a hobby shop recoemmended I get the megatech AIRSTRIKE..and I almost did..but luckily after doing much research realized this was a horrible begginer plane..and actaully a horrible plane period..I think what is happening with hobby shops and r/c planes..is technology is getting better so fast..and the employess at these local hobby shops are not keeping up with it...it would be like your local doctors office not knowing which current drugs to prescribe for illness...also..many times I feel these hobby shops are soley interesdted in just unloading the planes they distribute or ma have on hand..and not really looking out for the best interest of the begginer flyer...of course this isnt true with all local hobby shops..but it is true of many...
Old 01-28-2005, 09:57 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

As with almost anything in life..we try and find a quick answer..but its always best for one to do their own in depth research and not just take the advice of 1 hobby shop..or 1 poster on a r/c thread...when it comes to a begginer plane..everyone is different and will have different needs/wants for their 1st flying expirience...I think one of the biggest mistakes newbies make is how they prioritize the features of their 1st plane...many often think looks of the plane are most important...and for me..I have found this is probably least important..flyability/value and ease of assembly where what I wanted in my begginer plane..and becuase I took weeks to research before actually buying..I was succesful and learned quickly..it certainly wasnt becasue I was a better flyer then most begginers or more coordianted..that im sure of...
Old 01-29-2005, 01:13 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

About eight maybe nine years ago I used to race electric RC cars and there was a hobby shop with a race track on the south side of town that I had never been to. I was on the south side one day and decided to check it out, While I was there a lady pulled up in a very nice high dollar car and two boys about 12 years old got out and came in. They both had RC10 with the brush arm type speed controllers. Both cars were in bad shape and would not run. The owner knew that they had bought them through mail order and said he could not help them. I felt kinda bad becouse the two boys were very hurt that there cars would not run, so there were pitt tables in the shop and I had my RC tool box in the truck and told them to wait and I would take a look at them. By them time I got both car's working with new speed controllers and other parts the lady had spent about $250.00 for parts and was very happy the the cars ran so great. I left and said to the owner if you had been nice to that lady and the two boys there is no telling how much money she would have spent in your shop over time. I never went back and heard about six months later that he closed.
Milton
Old 01-29-2005, 03:31 AM
manateemedia

Good story... you just never know what good things can happen if you just take the time and be nice. When I really look at it I feel sorry for
the hobby shop owner. But then again I don't!
Old 01-29-2005, 03:34 AM
manateemedia

ORIGINAL: moodier

Hi;Just wondered if you saids Branson were you referring to the shop in Hollister?If not there is a shop there also.Kind of funny place as I remember upstairs of a building.Was just down looking at a lot we own in Hollister and thought would see if any shope around.Talked to them for a bit wasn't buying anything just asking about the local flying etc.THis was about a year ago so who knows if still there.Good luck.Interesting I am in Yuma Az,we have no shops here so all is on internet!Saw a place with a hobby shop sign and went in had a few plastic models said he got out of it lost money on the hobby end,Has a gun shop too.Said the internet iskilling the local shops.I know of thousands of dollars here that go to the internet because there is no one here.If he had stuff never got the word out to anyone,can't run a business in a vacumn!Most of us would much rather pay a little more for the convienece of having a shop!THink some of these shops should look in the mirror whenb they complain!
Yep, that's the place! Technically it is in Hollister.... listed in Google local under Branson though. I'm kind of irritated that I bought batteries, a battery charger, wings, servos, props and other parts and get the treatment... what a jerk
Old 01-29-2005, 09:52 AM
amdhotprocessor
My Feedback: (6)

we just shut our lhs down after he"the owner" was an a-hole to everyone that hangs around the hobby shop, he put up a sign that said "15 minutes-buy or leave" and we got the two guys that work 4 him to quit and all the fly boys and racers to go to the other lhs we have and he went out of buissness in 3 weeks, hahahaha, i hope he gets in an accident driving home. to understand why i am so ill to him, you would have had to been around him. and not to mention all 44 of the other regular guys feel the same way. this is a hobby that should not be filled with stupid people that just take away all the fun
Old 01-29-2005, 12:46 PM
manateemedia

ha ha...yet another good story. Man that guy must have been insane to put a sign up like that. I could have saved him a lot of money just
by getting a gun and shooting him in the foot. Oh well... I wonder if he learned his lesson? Probably not... in his mind it probably is still the customer's
fault.

I found the web site to my local hobby shop.

[link=http://www.tpahobby.com]TPA Hobby Center[/link]
Old 01-29-2005, 02:54 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to work in a LHS before the internet had grown to what it is today. If you wanted to discuss anything on a 'puter, you either had to use a BBS or email list. Even then, the owner of the shop I worked in had the same attitude. If someone bought something at "insert name of huge mail order house that advertises in many magazines" and came into our shop asking for help, or had questions, he'd help them only after they bought something else. I personally thought it was poor business etiquette but there wasn't much I could do when he was around. If he wasn't around, I helped anyone who came in no matter where they bought their stuff. I generated far more repeat customers than he did.

BTW, that shop closed down about a year after I quit.

John
Old 01-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

How bout this,
I've spent close to 2 thos. at old LHS last year, planes,radios, motors, building supplies,etc.
No one at LHS flys at all, so don't expect any help unless you have a car or want some gold fish. Had to get some servo extensions this A.M., stop at old LHS. Stand at counter ignored by clerk who's busy watching some guy looking at magazines. Only other person working is running cash register, selling lots of fish. Clerk #1 finally acknowleges me by looking at me then his watch and telling clerk#2 he's going to take his break now, and walks right past me!!!!!!!
Finally clerk #2 gets done selling fish, and comes over. I tell him what I need, and get the "is that some new kind of fish?" look. I tell the guy how bout if I just come around and get them myself!!! I'm in this shop 3-4 times a week, and can't even get a hello, let alone have them remember my name, which I have to give when they ring me up.
Going home see sign for new LHS, already got what I need, but what the heck. Husband and wife running it, he's into cars/trucks, she's into gas/elec planes. Bummer though, no gold fish.LOL
Hung out there over 2 hours,checking out shop, BSing to owners, was like being in that bar where everybody knows your name! Everybody there, customers/ owners were like old friends. Ended up buying a new radio, was cheaper then internet. As I'm leaving the owner's give me a business card, with home number on it. I ask what's this about? They say if we're closed and you need something,just call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goodbye old LHS/ Hello new friends.
BJ
Old 01-30-2005, 01:34 AM
manateemedia

Sorry.. I'm deleting this post as I had too many drinks last night..
Old 01-30-2005, 12:39 PM
rcflyer227

Hi guys: just moved to York Pa. and am looking for a good LHS. Found one in town, but all he had was RC Car stuff. When I asked him for a shop in the area that handles RC Planes, I just got a blank stare. Now I would not even buy CA from him. Anyone in central Pa.
with any ideas of a good LHS?
Old 01-30-2005, 01:52 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

it is tuff to find a good local hobby sop that not only sells r/c plane supplies..but is KNOWKLEDGABLE and offers good advice along with comparbale prices to the interenet...even though in the last few years r/c planes have come a long way,,they are still way out numbered by rc /cars..and I think alot of that may be due to the fact that many peopel who may want to get into r/c planes still think its such an enourmous initial cost to get involved..when in reality there are many rtf planes that come with everything needed and fly great right out of the box for around the $150 price range...certainly very competive in price to many of the electric r/c cars..and even cheaper then almost all the gas r/c cars Ive seen....I fly in 3 differetn school yards and 2 differtnn parks..all within about a mile radius of my house,.,..and have yet to see another person flying r/c planes in a year now at those places I fly.. every now and then you will get an interested spectator who asks questions and wants to know where they can buy a plane....and I always give them any info they want..along with my phone number to help out..and as of yet..they all were just full of hot air..and never got involved in the hobby...and belive me ..once they show an interest I explain to them how for around $150 they can have a plane delivered right to their door that rewuires no assembly and comes with evrything needed..and be flying in a matter of hours..but I guess when these guys get home..and present the idea to the wife..they are told they cant spend money on another hobby..LOL..
Old 01-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Well I just had to respond to this. I have worked for the last 25 years full and part time in the hobby business both at manufactures and at a shop here in MD. We try to help everyone who comes in but after a while you can tell who are what we called posers. People who pose as customers only to tie you up for as long as you will talk to them and answer the questions they have only to walk out and spend the money mail order because they got the info they needed to decide if they wanted product X and then they asked for a price match or not and then they left never to be seen again; until X product didn't work and now it was our problem somehow. I guess it is the sign of the times but I am glad as can be that I am not trying to make a living in the business anymore. People demanding service and answers to questions after they spent money somewhere else and getting mad if you can't or won't help them. With the average profit after paying the bills to be open of about 10% on the dollar how much time to do think someone who has never seen you before with a mailorder product in their shop wants to give you? Or worse yet remebers that you tied them up for an hour only to walk back in with product X you bought somewhere because it was cheaper. A store cost someone ( The owner ) money just to be open, Think about it before you decide where to spend you money after you get your info for free.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:12 PM
manateemedia

Sorry everyone for my drunken post last night... I removed it... guess I had to vent a little bit or something?
Old 01-30-2005, 06:17 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

I can understand both sides....to a point.

I can understand the hobby shop owner getting frustrated by internet sellers underselling him and doing more business. But this is not the internet sellers fault. Its the shop owner. If he ran his/her business correctly, he could easily compete with the internet businesses. Its all about your wholesalers. If he/she would spend a little time on the internet him/herself looking up better deals to have in his/her shop. They wouldn't have to worry about the internet sales.

I have three VERY good hobby shops in my area. One mainly caters to plastic modelers and R/C cars. One caters to R/C flight, cars, and boats, and plastic models, and miniatures, and rocketry. One caters only to R/C flight. I visit all three regularly. All but one has prices better,or comparitive with online sellers. The two that have good prices, do so by spending countless hours online, looking up vendors that can provide stuff at prices that allow them to make a profit, and keep prices low.

The problem is that the hobby shops that give us this kind of attitude are just ticked that we are buying from the same people they do. Many of these so called hobby shop owners stock their shelves from Hobby Lobby. Instead of buying wholesale, they pay the same amount as a internet buyer, and then have the nerve to give us attitude when we skip the middle man because of his overpriced overhead that he tags on top of each item. I have no simpathy for these types. Learn how to run your business, instead of trying to run your customers.

There is absolutly NO reason for any hobby shop owner to chastize a fellow enthusiast for buying stuff elsewhere. The first time I get that from any of my local retailers, I will never darken their doorstep again.

This being said, it is important that we as customers have some responsibilities too. We need to support our "GOOD" local hobby shops. Be responsible and dont go browsing at your local hobby shop for what you want and then go buy it online...unless you are forced to because of price.

I buy all my planes from the local hobby shops. I buy carbon fiber online. The reason for this is my local hobby shops prices on kits and some parts are as good or better than online shopping, and I dont have to pay shipping...Plus I have someone to go to if I have issues with the kit. I buy carbon fiber online because its cheaper....lots cheaper, and some of my local hobby shops fail to carry stock of this, even after repeated requests.

One of my local hobby shops has started to carry some carbon stuff...and when I need it, I go to him...if he has it.

Basically...support your local hobby shop...but dont accept attitude from them.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:27 PM
manateemedia

Yep.... there's no way I would be in the local hobby shop business. The only way I would is if I already had a few million and decided
to do it for fun. There are a lot of other types of businesses to get in other than a hobby shop. But, if you do get in the business you
have to deal with the reality that there will be posers. I think in almost any business there are probably posers. Who knows...
Old 01-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Part of the problem is guys who have to much money and want a place to hang out who own shops. We have one of those just down the street from where I work and he has ruined it for the other 2 shops 5-10 miles away. He is rude, loud and can't decide where he is in business or not half of the time. Some of his stuff is very over priced to take advantage of those who just can't wait and he sells other things below cost when he has made to much money and doesn't to have to pay taxes. Then the customers would come into where I worked and say way are you $20 more than hobby shop X for product X. They were selling high end $120 street price servos 10$ below cost and when they ran out his customers came to us expecting us to match their price because he sold them at that price. I told them that I couldn't because that was below cost; most of them didn't believe us even when we showed them our cost ,some did see the light. When I heard what he was selling them for I called the distributor and asked how he could do this and keep his account their reaction, !QUOT!We don't care if he makes money all we care about is if he pays his bill!QUOT!.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:21 PM
Iturnright

Yeah, A shop has to be very helpful to have any chance of competing. I love the hobby shop i go to. I've hung around for an hour just looking at stuff and talking to clerks and not a word about it. When i do want to buy something their specialist comes out to help me! They have warhammer stuff too, so that helps, there is always people there. As long as they do what they have been doing, they can easily compete with internet. Thats the way a store should be.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:00 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Remember that the shop owners are human beings. It really grates on them when people bring in their Internet-purchased R/C vehicle with questions, expecting free technical advice and free repairs, yet NEVER EVER buy a thing from the shop. At a busy shop, it can happen several times a day. Those of you who went into the shop with the intention to buy something are in the minority of the minority. They have no way of knowing you intend to buy anything; they can't read minds. When you come in and start asking questions, they assume you're another "freeloader," and let you have it, both barrels. Unfortunate, but really understandable if you realize how often it happens. They get FED UP, and it's probably time for them to find a different line of work.

Distributors have local shops over a barrel. Two major distributors have exclusive distributorships on the majority of the hobby products that are in demand. There's no going to other distributors for a better deal; there are no other distributors that carry the products. Plus, these distributors are undercutting their own dealers with direct Internet outlets, often selling to the public at the same prices they charge dealers, offering discount coupons and discounted shipping. Dealers have to pay standard shipping rates, which eats up most of the difference between dealer cost and Internet price the rest of the time. They can't survive like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.