RCU Forums - View Single Post - World Models 60 size P51D ARF Which Retracts?
Old 02-19-2005, 03:14 AM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models 60 size P51D ARF Which Retracts?

Well, I am finally getting to building my World Models 60 ARF P51D and I am curious how the stock retracts are holding up for those of you that have been flying them? I have new OS 120 Surpass II for it and I am thinking about replacing the the stock mechanical retracts before my first flight? To install Robart 551RS Robo Strut ready pneumatic retracts with 7/16 offset P51 style Robo Struts and a medium Robart air kit with a variable retract valve so the retracts can be slowed to near scale speed. Have any of you WM P51 drivers replaced your retracts yet? I figured that since I need to take the retracts out and add epoxy and fiberglass cloth with some balsa stock to strengthen the mounts that I also will soak with CA. I will need to Dremel out the center rib that hold the outside retract plate so the strut can get pulled up into the wheel wells. I will replace what a remove with 1/8 plywood on both sides of the rib and the other rib.
The reason I am asking for opinions seriously is that two weeks ago I was visiting my friends club field and I saw a brand new WM 60 ARF P51D just like mine the Petie II the pilot was test flying the plane had a brand new Saito 91 in it and take of was pretty short with partial flap so I know my plane will have more than enough power with the 120 Surpass. And he flew it for about 10 minutes and set up for a long smooth approach a few yards before the edge of the runway the pilot selected full flaps and made what I thought was a flawless and smooth wheel landing. While the tail was still up the left retract folded closed and it spun the plane around and the pilot killed the power and the plane skidded to a stop and the retract was still bolted to the plate and mostly in the wing but it really tore up the wing sheeting and several ribs. It was repairable but it will take some serious time and work. The consensus was that the lockdown cam in the retract failed[:-] On the first flight and he needs to recover half the wing now after repairs are made. So I am thinking about installing the Robart retracts and reinforcing the ribs and retract plates before I fly the plane? I could see if he had bounced the landing but it was a perfect approach and landing. I dont want to have to repair the plane on my first flight so I am swapping out retracts I would love to hear from other pilots about the retracts.
I am ordering some Ultracote this weekend with my retracts and struts and I think the covering on the plane is Silver Ultracote does anyone know for sure? Also in a Mustang book I have there are pictures of a squadron full of blue nosed P51's including B models. So I am printing different nose art for my plane.
Thanks Guy's