RCU Forums - View Single Post - new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 10:50 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Rory

First of all I am self employed ( Architect) and therefore can elect to work when I like. You can't fly in the dark but you can work!

Today's story. Good flying day if a little cold. Wren as ever started within 15 seconds of igniting gas, rpm's dialled up to 160k this time,
Take off into wind , model off and climbing in 30 yards. Extra thrust immediately evident, flew rolls both slow and 4 point, loops, reversals, cubans etc. Very confident with model on only second flight, set up for landing, made what I thought was gentle touchdown and I heard the crack of the gear block breaking again, both blocks this time , no other damage to model but no more flying.

Conclusions: The model flies very well , no reservations about that, touchdown speed was about 20mph into 10mph wind.

The main landing gear is not up to the job. You might be ok if you fly off tarmac. The laminated plywood blocks need to be replaced with hardwood and the main legs need springs (same as noseleg) This I think has not been tested as all the models I have seen have retracts, maybe Alan Cardash can confirm? I am not going to continue with the fixed gear, anyway one of the guys said the model looked dorky with the gear hanging down! He's right jets should have retracts.

I have stripped everything out of the fuselage and am about to plan my retract installation. I will not use the forward retracting noseleg as shown in the plans as I have a spare flatmount springair noseleg. I will cut new 6mm ply formers to suit. THe main legs are simply screwed to the existing hardwood rails in the wings.

All new models need development and in my experience undercarts are the biggest problem in turbine models especially if you operate off grass. I will, of course, post progress reports and photographs of the new installation for my faithfull readers!

John