RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie here, how does it all work?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Wreno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie here, how does it all work?

Umi,

Cool. Gotcha - light vs heavy load waterline. Makes sense now. We use a standard 1/4" boot in our club for all ships. Some guys out west have built a working LST with working ramp and all in 1:144.

We allow a 3/8" deck and caprail thickness. Being a tramp steamer, she has basically well decks. The main deck and weather deck are the same thing (except Foc'sle, Poop, and center Island) Foc'sle and Poop are non-penetrable , center Island goes form main deck. Since the top of the deck is about 3/8" above the waterline..... the only area above the waterline that is penetrable is a wedge about 1/4" or less high near the bow, tapering back 3-4 inches, due to the sweep of the deck I found out that scuppers are a really good idea. As is sealing the main decks well. My second sink was an unseaworthy sink due to water accumulating on the stern deck and seeping in very gradually, then again, then again, etc. with a pump failure.

BBs get a tad large in your scale, but I am glad you are doing some. That would be fun to see.

Wreno