RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie here, how does it all work?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie here, how does it all work?

Wreno,
Yeah, I threatened for years also. Our guru constantly scoffed at how difficult it would be. Even when I said I would finally launch one he scoffed. So, I widely publicised the successful build of my LST back in 2003. We were really proud of what we were able to acomplish. Ron ran across it and I did my best to help him with the tank search.
You can see that in the thread I linked in my last post.

Difficulties.
Tank rc range. For 2004 I refitted one of the tanks with a two channel micro reciever and (2)servo mod speed controls. For all our testing and verifying we did prior to the 2003 nationals the tank failed to be controlable out on the pond during combat. In 2004, our nationals was severly under attended, so we just played with it rather than use it in full scale combat.

Game play.
Since no one else in our club showed interest there is no competing LST. (They are, kind of, all about BB right now.)
Some of my game scenarios were;
1. A target that only a landed tank could approach and destroy.
2. A target that only a landed tank could approach and destroy, only after crossing a small bridge Naval vessels could destroy.(Tanks are spendy we didn't want them shot at.)
3. Recovery. Recover a target that only a landed tank could push back to the LST, load it on board, and bring it back to home port.
4. Island capture. Claim islands in a manner that only a landed tank can achieve. Most islands captured wins. Captured Islands may have shore batteries for current or next game. Like a micro switch to activate the guns when a tank parks against it.

Only the first game got played, and despite the claims of some club members that, "We have done it all, there is nothing new." They found our proposals only mildly entertaining.

I think it could add an entirely new dimension to the games, however I think I am the minority.

[edit]
Ron never got back to us on how succesful they were at launching this campaign last year.
So I have no Idea how any of their efforts came out.