RCU Forums - View Single Post - How many here fly full-scale?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 04:39 AM
Jimmbbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many here fly full-scale?

ORIGINAL: flycfii

I'm working on my Instrument ticket now, and I plan on having my CFII/ME in three more years- What do you say the chances are for a thirty-year old guy making it?
If an airline job is your goal, I'd say you can do it.... I got my CFI at 32, worked another eight years building time and working at my "real" jobs to afford it... Went to work at a Commuter at 40, have flown Bandeirantes, Brasillias, BAe-146s, DC-9s and am now flying MD80s....

The wild card is what the hiring picture is going to be as you get more experience and certificates. It is clear to me that the major airlines will shrink/consolidate/disappear if they cannot compete effectively with low cost carriers Southwest, AirTran and Jet Blue... Right now, a lot of qualified pilots are on the street, and that trickles down the industry. Some of these will retire, some will just bag it, some will persevere.... IMO, the picture will be clearer in the next year or two, with jobs becoming more plentiful in 5 years... IF the economy remains healthy and oil doesn't pass $60 a barrel.... [:-]

Flying for a living is inherently unstable, and you can't be a "real" airline pilot till you've been furloughed (laid off) for more than two years or had at least one airline shut down on you... If you want stability, go work at the Post Office - just be sure you're packin' heat

Cheers and good luck!

Jim

Some pics from www.airliners.net - a GREAT airplane pic site!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85105.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	247854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98551.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	247855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85356.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	59.9 KB