RCU Forums - View Single Post - Does the Hobby Cost to Much?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2002, 04:11 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Does the Hobby Cost to Much?

In answer to your first question...it's only expensive if your crashing, and otherwise loosing equipment. The planes will generally hold some kind of value if taken care of. I'm not saying they hold the same as new value, however, you CAN take a proven flyer, fly it for several months if not more, then turn around and sell it. If it's in good shape you'll get a fair price. So my opinion is it's a very reasonable priced hobby. For me it's been very affordable.

I've taken planes, built them, flown them, and sold them for every dollar I had in it. This can't happen all the time of course, but is a somewhat learned practice. Those that have done it, and will again know what I'm talking about. As for getting compensated for time...forget abouuut it. I don't try to go for profit on something that I've already used, I just want someone else to enjoy it, and get a fair price.

Compared to things like Golf(I've always wanted to indulge in the game), it's cheap. From what I understand, for one round of golf, you could easily by a brand new ARF plane in some cases. Or other hobbies/sports, how much do some of those cost? One trip to the ball park...better have a few hun on you for that. I'm not knocking other activities at all, just comparing is all.

I figured out my club dues...it costs me about $1.25 a weekend to fly, that's for a place to fly. In that there are so many benefits to being in the club, I'm way ahead with benefits of having a whole bunch of friends, very cool friends. Sorry so long,,I'll step down now..