RCU Forums - View Single Post - Does the Hobby Cost to Much?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002, 11:27 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default costs

I am with CHassan , As with any hobby it is only as expensive as you want it to be. I know I can't afford to throw away $5000 on a 40% size bird so I don't even consider them an option, If you want an inexpensive form of flying and creativity try SPADS. Instead of putting all my eggs in one basket I spread them around so I have a verity of aircraft to fly.

DO programmable radios make you a better pilot, Absolutely NOT, but they can make you appear to be a more skilled pilot or help with troublesome tendencies that some can't handle. I am opposed to using some programmable mixing for Certain competition if the full size aircraft is not so equipped or it is a competition of pilot skills. Using programing for Knife Edge, countering engine torque, snap rolls , what have you takes the skill away form the pilot . And I believe some programming is needed to utilize an aircrafts full potential, Duel rates and Expo ,Of course for just flying for fun , who cares. Do you need programmable radios to have fun, NO. I would rather spend $300 or more for a programmable radio VS $1000 for separate transmitters for each of my aircraft .

I was browsing a Mid 80s mag. the other day and seen many prices for engines and radios considerably higher than the equivalent today, for example the O.S .46 SF was 129.99, the .46fx is available from the same place for 109.99. .