RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why do the electric ARF's fly so poorly?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:24 PM
U2Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do the electric ARF's fly so poorly?

A sure-fire way to turn off the N00bs? Tell 'em their easy, all-in-one, open-the-box-and-fly outfit is gonna run $300 or better. How many kids would get one for their birthday then? I'm guessing a lot fewer than get $50 Firebird Outlaws, which actually do fly, and fly well.

You can't get the same power as a .40 glow engine, or even a .15, without a serious brushless motor and Li-po batteries to keep the weight reasonable. That, right now, costs a few $$$.

And there are some Electric ARF's that fly without expensive upgrades. The Outlaw, as I mentioned. The Hitec Sky Scooter (and its replacement Space Scooter) is another. The GWS Slow Stick. The Multiplex Easy Star. In suitable conditions, they all fly fine. They're not fast, and not safe in 15 MPH winds, that's all. If you want that kind of performance, you'll pay extra, or go glow.

And while you're at it, find a glow-powered RTF for under $200. If you were willing to pay the same for an electric model as you were a NextStar, I bet it would perform as well.

/Rant off.

Steve