RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cap 21 - lots of questions!
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 12:06 AM
wrig0335

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cap 21 - lots of questions!

Greetings,

This weekend I picked up a nice 72" Cap 21 for really cheap! It came without any radio gear, engine, or manual/information. I will be returning it to flying status, but don't even know where to start. Please bear with all the questions, and I'd appreciate any help you can give me!

First of all, I don't know what kind of kit it came from. There is a fiberglass cowl that was probably purchased, as well as the canopy. The cowl has an "oil door" imprinted in it to look scale, as well as some very nicely formed curves.

It was obviously painted, as you can see from the pics. There is quite a bit of hangar rash, and I'd like to strip it and recover. You can see that on the stab picture, some of the wood grain looks visible. What would be the most likely covering system that he used? I really like the painted look, as it's much cleaner than a monokote finish, but it doesn't look like it has Stits or Fiberglass on it- but maybe some light tissue or something.. Any other covering processes, and how would I tell which one was used? I might just go the Monokote route for ease of covering and from previous experience in it... plus it would probably be a lot lighter.

What size servos, etc, (in terms of ounce-inch) should I use? I assume standard for throttle and flaps, but what about ailerons, elevator, and rudder?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Pat-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44886.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	254288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84822.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	254289   Click image for larger version