Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Cap 21 - lots of questions!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Cap 21 - lots of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:06 AM
wrig0335

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cap 21 - lots of questions!

Greetings,

This weekend I picked up a nice 72" Cap 21 for really cheap! It came without any radio gear, engine, or manual/information. I will be returning it to flying status, but don't even know where to start. Please bear with all the questions, and I'd appreciate any help you can give me!

First of all, I don't know what kind of kit it came from. There is a fiberglass cowl that was probably purchased, as well as the canopy. The cowl has an "oil door" imprinted in it to look scale, as well as some very nicely formed curves.

It was obviously painted, as you can see from the pics. There is quite a bit of hangar rash, and I'd like to strip it and recover. You can see that on the stab picture, some of the wood grain looks visible. What would be the most likely covering system that he used? I really like the painted look, as it's much cleaner than a monokote finish, but it doesn't look like it has Stits or Fiberglass on it- but maybe some light tissue or something.. Any other covering processes, and how would I tell which one was used? I might just go the Monokote route for ease of covering and from previous experience in it... plus it would probably be a lot lighter.

What size servos, etc, (in terms of ounce-inch) should I use? I assume standard for throttle and flaps, but what about ailerons, elevator, and rudder?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Pat-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44886.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	254288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84822.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	254289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44743.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	254290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48289.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	254291  
Old 04-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cap 21 - lots of questions!

ORIGINAL: wrig0335

Greetings,

This weekend I picked up a nice 72" Cap 21 for really cheap! It came without any radio gear, engine, or manual/information. I will be returning it to flying status, but don't even know where to start. Please bear with all the questions, and I'd appreciate any help you can give me!

First of all, I don't know what kind of kit it came from. There is a fiberglass cowl that was probably purchased, as well as the canopy. The cowl has an "oil door" imprinted in it to look scale, as well as some very nicely formed curves.

It was obviously painted, as you can see from the pics. There is quite a bit of hangar rash, and I'd like to strip it and recover. You can see that on the stab picture, some of the wood grain looks visible. What would be the most likely covering system that he used? I really like the painted look, as it's much cleaner than a monokote finish, but it doesn't look like it has Stits or Fiberglass on it- but maybe some light tissue or something.. Any other covering processes, and how would I tell which one was used? I might just go the Monokote route for ease of covering and from previous experience in it... plus it would probably be a lot lighter.

>If you want to use a film covering I would suggest Ultracote/Oracover
>instead of MonoKote. MonoKote has really gone downhill in the past
>couple of years as far as quality of adhesive and shrinking ability is
>concerned, not to mention the Lusterkote paints don't spray (much
>less color match) worth sh*t.
>
>If you want to paint, there are a couple of ways to do it. For a lite weight
>finish you can either glass it using the water base polyurethane method
>or cover the plane in a medium grade silkspan and then do your
>priming and painting. In either recovering or re painting you will
>need to remove the old finish first.
>

What size servos, etc, (in terms of ounce-inch) should I use? I assume standard for throttle and flaps, but what about ailerons, elevator, and rudder?

>I don't know what size engine you will be using, but I would
>suggest a MINIMUM of 75 oz (preferably 100 oz torque) for the
>rudder. If the elevator is running dual servos (one servo on each
>half ) standard servos should be OK. If it is a single servo setup
>use a MINIMUM of 75 oz torque (preferably 100 oz torque ). For
>the ailerons, if it is a dual servo, standard servos (or if the room
>is minimal ) HiTec 85 servos. If it is a single servo, go with the
>75/100 oz servo.
>
>This plane is designed to be flown at fairly high speeds and will
>be subjected to high G manuvers - you will want the extra torque.
>I have had good performance from GWS S03TXF (78 oz) and GWS
>S03T (100 oz) servos. The S03T is a tad slow at .33 but the price
>on either is right and I have not noticed any perceptable difference
>in respose time in flight.
> http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/Servos/gwsServos.asp
>I have gotten stuff from Balsa Products before and their prices
>and service have been excellent.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Pat-
Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought at first that was a Byron's kit, but my Byron's didn't have flaps, and the wingspan is 80". Are you measuring the wing panels only, or the whole wingspan with fuselage? Is the fuselage, wings, and tail feathers styrofoam? The reason I ask is I have just finished my Byron's CAP-21, and I have yet to maiden her. I'm waiting until I get my feel back for the season, and for a nice warm afternoon. If yours is the Byron, I can answer most everything you can ask. I've got a converted Homelite 45cc on mine, with a 20X8 pro Zinger. I also have detailed pictures of the engine box I made. Engine, smoke system, throtle servo, and both tanks can be removed completley with only four bolts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59197.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	254363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69008.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	254364  
Old 04-05-2005, 10:18 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

I had a 72" CAP21 a few years ago. The biggest problem on these is weight! Keep it light. Other than that, very sweet flying aircraft.

The servos need to be fairly strong. I used Futaba S128's on all surfaces. The rudder was pull-pull and the elevators were driven by a split pushrod. A 6V flight pack was used. The nose moment is fairly short so be careful of the CG. An OS 1.08 pulled it good.

Safe Flying!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:57 PM
geno472

Hello, there were only two 72" Cap 21's made that I can recall. One was by Great Planes and it was a kit, and one was by Modeltech and it was an "almost ready to cover". Both of those aircraft did not come with flaps and neither did the full size model so that is something that the previous owner added. From your pictures it looks like you have the Modeltech model. If you are looking for a good way to refinish the model I would wet sand the paint down to the primer and repaint it using something light, like automotive base and clear or latex house paint. I do not know of any way to strip the old finish off other than sanding and that is going to take some work. If you want to use Monokote I would still wet sand most of the paint off to remove most of that added weight. I have both the Modeltech and Great Planes version of this plane and they fly great with an OS 91 FX or OS 1.08 FSR. I used 100 ounce/inch servos on the rudder and elevator and dual standard servos on the ailerons. Watch you speed on landing as even the lightest of Cap 21's will snap at low speeds, but if you are looking for unlimited aerobatic potential and maneuvering, then this is the plane you want.

Gene
Old 11-01-2007, 01:44 AM
<<KJ>>

I have a CAP 21 and have an SC .61 motor to go in it. It's a modeltech CAP and it was suggested to have a .40-.60 size motor in it on the kit, so is the SC motor okay? Also, the servo's I am running are Hitec 300 (i think that's what it says on them), are these okay to run in this type of model?
Thanks
KJ.