RCU Forums - View Single Post - Note on MAAC Insurance
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 09:01 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Note on MAAC Insurance

FYI - from MAAC SW Zone director at [link=http://www.swzone-maac.com/]MAAC SW Zone [/link]
Southwest Zone Members
May 18,2005

I do not take lightly making this report to you. I have given a lot of consideration as to what action to take, and I’ve sought counsel from members in the zone whose opinions I greatly respect. In the end I have realized that, as a Director of MAAC, it is my responsibility to inform my zone members when there is a situation that may place them at risk, or otherwise have a direct negative impact on them.

On May 11, 2005 I was informed by Chuck Smith that, due to wording in our insurance policy, MAAC members are only covered under the insurance policy for their activities “at events sanctioned by the association”. This deficiency of coverage has existed for the last 4 ½ months, and applies to most of our activities (sport flying).

This information was forwarded to the President of MAAC. What follows is an excerpt from our insurance chair, Richard Barlow, to the board on May 15.
“Chuck did find problems with the policies, especially one clause that could be interpreted as restricting our coverage to sanctioned events. I would like to go on record as thanking him for his diligence and giving full credit to him for his efforts.”

This error in our policy is being taken seriously, and Richard further reported:
“Carl has issued a sanction for all modelling activity in the interim, and Paul Baldwin [MAAC’s insuarance agent] has promised to get the relevant wording changed and the other discrepancies investigated”

As you can see, there is a problem with the wording of the policy. President Carl Layden has attempted a stopgap measure by declaring all member activities to be “sanctioned”. However, although well intentioned, I have serious concerns on whether or not this is a valid action that will extend blanket coverage to non-sanctioned events (sport flying).

Also, since we cannot provide sanctions for activities outside of Canada, MAAC members do not have insurance outside of Canada. This will especially effect anyone traveling to the US or abroad.

Other wording in the Policy indicates that coverage for volunteer activities and demonstration flights with buddy boxes may have reduced coverage, or may not be covered at all.
In closing my belief is that, until a written endorsement is received from the insurance carrier, MAAC members are not covered by insurance for their sport flying and related activities.

Until this matter is completely resolved, please consider this information when and if you decide to fly.

Gerry Shaw

Southwest Zone Director.

Posted 19 May 2005.
H. Barr.