RCU Forums - View Single Post - More interest in kits
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2002, 08:50 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Hello James...

I'm with you, and it's an excellent idea.There are alot of nice ARC's and ARF's out there. Sometimes not quite the configuration we need though.
This idea just came to me too, what about buying from custom builders? There's your item right there, built just how you order it. The kits are the same kits, the parts that you want built are built to exacting standards and you have professional work, just like that.
Part of the reason though that some of the best kits have been discontinued is due to ARC/ARF market. Although you can still get very nice high-end kits, however for those that want to build, then look at an ARF of the same plane, it's cost-prohibitive to build that kit, unless you know absolutely for fact you have the ability to make that kit, and on top of that make it better then an ARF.
With that said, as much as we would like big companies to fashion kits in several different configurations, they are going to go to the old "supply and demand" thing, and make them in whatever format makes them money.
What you might do is E-mail a few that your interested in and let them know of your want, and that you'd be interested in those particular items, and see how they reply. You never know, some could have just what your looking for already and just not marketing it.
I've added up what it cost me to build a GreatPlanes EXTRA300 40 size kit, and it was within $10 bucks of the ARF, by the time I had all hardware, covering, wheels, tank, a few cans of paint for cowling/wheel pants. These are seriously well equipped kits too. Both of them, but if the equipped the kit like the ARF, we wouldnt be buying thier kits, as price would be very high. It makes business sense for them to do it like this though, because they make money by "volume" on the ARF, and they make it by "mark-up" on the kit. I'm almost sure that's how they can do this.

Custom builders is the way for you to go though James, they would make you just what your looking for. Keep posting.