Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

More interest in kits

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

More interest in kits

Old 01-01-2002, 06:27 PM
James Goss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More interest in kits

I was thinking the other day about how we could get more interest in the kit-building end of out hobby. The ARF and ARC are really taking off and it is easy to understand why. Very little time and skill is needed to assemble an ARF, more skill on the ARC is needed for sure, but the ARC still saves many hours of work. Now don’t get me wrong, it does take some skill to assemble an ARF and set it up to fly. What I am thinking about is more of a partial ARC kit. Most builders do not like to build either the wing or the fuselage or tail sections. In my case I have always liked to build the fuselage better than the wing or tail sections. I still like to build wings, but not as much as the fuselage. So why nor have a partial kit that comes with your choice of having the wing, fuse, or tail already built and you build the rest (your favorite parts). It would cost more than a full kit, but less than a full ARC. I think more builders would go for this and stay in the kit-building end of the hobby. What do you think? James Goss
Old 01-01-2002, 08:50 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Hello James...

I'm with you, and it's an excellent idea.There are alot of nice ARC's and ARF's out there. Sometimes not quite the configuration we need though.
This idea just came to me too, what about buying from custom builders? There's your item right there, built just how you order it. The kits are the same kits, the parts that you want built are built to exacting standards and you have professional work, just like that.
Part of the reason though that some of the best kits have been discontinued is due to ARC/ARF market. Although you can still get very nice high-end kits, however for those that want to build, then look at an ARF of the same plane, it's cost-prohibitive to build that kit, unless you know absolutely for fact you have the ability to make that kit, and on top of that make it better then an ARF.
With that said, as much as we would like big companies to fashion kits in several different configurations, they are going to go to the old "supply and demand" thing, and make them in whatever format makes them money.
What you might do is E-mail a few that your interested in and let them know of your want, and that you'd be interested in those particular items, and see how they reply. You never know, some could have just what your looking for already and just not marketing it.
I've added up what it cost me to build a GreatPlanes EXTRA300 40 size kit, and it was within $10 bucks of the ARF, by the time I had all hardware, covering, wheels, tank, a few cans of paint for cowling/wheel pants. These are seriously well equipped kits too. Both of them, but if the equipped the kit like the ARF, we wouldnt be buying thier kits, as price would be very high. It makes business sense for them to do it like this though, because they make money by "volume" on the ARF, and they make it by "mark-up" on the kit. I'm almost sure that's how they can do this.

Custom builders is the way for you to go though James, they would make you just what your looking for. Keep posting.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:09 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Kits vs. arfs

I have three ARF's a Hangar Nine UltraStik, Cherokee .40 and a RCM .40, recently finished a Bruce Tharpe Venture .60 and a FlyinKing about a year ago. I have an Adrian Paige Super Cub, a Kellett AutoGyro and a Lanier Giant Stinger under construction, I like the ones I built better.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:28 AM
DSJBEAN
My Feedback: (1)

No ARF's here, I like to build.....It's more relaxing and more gratifying seeing something you built from a bunch of pieces of wood fly.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:35 AM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 4 ARF's. I have modified them so much, it would have been easier to build a kit. From now on, if a ARF does not have a hatch to get to the fuel tank. I won't buy it.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:58 PM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

I too have found that the price of a kit and building it is about the same as an ARF of the same plane...but I would much rather build the kit.....that way if I want to modify something I can...and I have a choice of color schemes...the type of covering...etc.
Not only that...but there is the pride in the fact that you actually built it....and if you should happen to....oops...crash it...you have PLANS to follow to rebuild it....try that with an ARF!! I learned many years ago when I was flying control line in high school to scratch build....and when I started in R/C it sure came in handy...I think I must have rekitted the fuse on my trainer about once a week for the first year and a half.....

I realize some guys either don't have time to build or don't beleive that they have the skill to do it....but I think that anyone that can should build at least one kit......

I also agree that the manufacturers should consider providing partially built kits for those who don't feel comfortable building either a wing or fuse....

My three and a half cents worth...
Old 01-11-2002, 03:45 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After a couple of years in the hobby, I think more modelers will get tired of the 'cookie cutter' image and expand their experiences with kit building - at least i HOPE so!

Jerry
Old 01-11-2002, 05:06 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default Professional builders.

When you go looking for a professional builder be very careful. There are some out there that build a few kits and feel they are doing professional type work when in reality they are not. I have been building models since the 50's and building planes for other people since 1990 or so and take great pride in my work. There are lots out there that just want to push it out the door and get the money and I have seen some real horrible built planes by these so called professionals, so beware where you look and ask for examples of their work. Yes I have pictures of all the planes that I have done and just a few are on my web page. I would love to see a turn around and more kits out there then ARF's but I fear we are seeing the future and it is now. That's all right as I have enough kits and plans to last me until I go to that flying field in the sky.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:30 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Default Kit building

Kits only for me. I finish one and look for the next. It gives me something to ponder at work and Ive always been satisified when they fly. Ive met some fantastic craftsman in this hobby that build and scratch build. Building is about half the hobby to me . I build um, I crash um. Im impressed with some of the ARFS available but they definately fit the bill for others.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:22 AM
exocet-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I prefer kits too. I have built a P-38, a Ki-61(tony), an exocet,and a couple of entry level pattern ships from kits in addition to my own trainers many moons ago. I have also "assembled" a Kyosho Zero and my wife's trainer. When I took the self-built ones to the field, everyone commented on how good they were and the usual, "How did you do this part or that part", and the like. When I brought the Zero out, it wasn't anything special. There is an immense pride in building a plane from a kit. Sure it takes longer but, even when I was beginning and my technique was horrible(it's still not great), I was proud of what I did because I could say, "I made this." If we can impart that thought to new builders, there would be a lot more people building from kits. Just my opinion.

Tim

P.S. When I destroyed the tony, I felt a lot worse than when I did in the Zero. Will definately build a tony again.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:07 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

After a couple ARF's that I thought should have been built a little better, my next will be a Sig kit.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:38 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

Originally posted by exocet
I was proud of what I did because I could say, "I made this." If we can impart that thought to new builders, there would be a lot more people building from kits. Just my opinion.
I agree with what you said about the pride. There are two moments in building kits that make it all worthwhile. The first is when the wing is completed, but not covered. Wood wings are just so beautiful! The second is when the plane is covered, and I've just started the trim work. I just get this swelling of pride!

But I question whether we can do anything to get more people to build kits. None of my three kids are at all interested in tools, although they are quite creative in different ways. I know I have a small sample to judge the whole world by, but it occured to me that when I grew up, mechanical things weren't too reliable, and you had to fix them all the time, thus getting a lot of practice fixing and re-building things. Even 15 years ago, you could fix washing machines, cars, dishwashers, etc. My kids are always asking me, "How do you know how to do that?", and I answer, "I don't know, I've just always done stuff like this." But the truth is that me and my father spent decades together using tools to fix things.

Today, mechanical things just don't break down much. Dodge is not a car known for reliability, but my Caravan has 80,000 miles on it and aside from normal maintenance, exactly two things have failed, only one of which a normal person could have fixed. Washing machines just seem to work forever, as do just about all household appliances. Bicycles need a lot of work, but the parts are so expensive it makes a lot more sense just to buy a new one, at least in the under $300 range.

As a result, I suspect that most young folks in the U.S. just don't get any practice or experience with tools. It seems that most of the car mechanics, and the building trades are either older folks or immigrants. I figure the immigrants come from poorer countries where folks still have to fix things. The Car Talk brothers talk about a Mexican mechanic they hired who could fix (rather than simply replace) any part, although I think making an alternator out of a radiator was probably an exaggeration.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe when my kids grow up to be an old fart like me, they'll take up modeling. But I wonder...
Old 01-19-2002, 09:04 PM
airwethead

Default The joy of kits!

I am new to this addiction, and have two ARFs and one pile of wood that was an ARF trainer. (Outgrew its capabilities and tried to make it do unnatural things for a trainer). While I have enjoyed assembling and flying these planes this past summer, I have begun building a Tiger2 kit and I LOVE IT! The feeling of getting up from the work table and see a sheeted wing there where a pile of wood lay a few hours before is unbelieveable. I hadn't planned on changing anything, but I have found it is fun to customize the plane as you build it. I enlarged the control surfaces on the rudder and elevator, made it to accept dual aileron servos, and changed it to a taildragger. I just bought a Midwest Extra 300 kit as my next project, and I cant wait to get started on it! Now my wife wont see me all winter either.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:13 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Airwethead,

If you are enjoying the Tiger....wait until you work on the MW Extra - man that plane is large, and goes together quite fast!

ENJOY.....and I'm turning a bit 'green' with envy...I built their Super Stinker and G-202 as well as their Citabria. Great kits!

Jerry
Old 01-20-2002, 02:08 AM
TTsboy

Default Kits Forever!

I am definitely in the build kits (and scratch) category. I consider the experience and satisfaction of constructing a model a significant part of the hobby. For me, it isn't just for the thrill of flying. Hopefully, there will always be good, affordable kits available. I remain optimistic that there is room enough for every taste - kit or ARF. The ARF popularity may be cyclical like many other things.

I am doing my part in keeping the kit manufacturers producing... picking up a TF Spitfire on Monday and am already putting lots of thought into what my next project will be.

Live long and build!