RCU Forums - View Single Post - Shaft Drive v. Belt Drive
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 03:13 AM
Boss290

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shaft Drive v. Belt Drive

Sorry dude but that is a crock of shyte!
ORIGINAL: cossie

shaft adv = better accleration and top speed, less friction
-This can not be proven! If you look at the IFMAR world championships in Brazil, the Kyosho guys (winners) had more acceleration and top speed from the RRR (belt drive) than the FW-05R(shaft drive). Acceleration and top speed is not determined by belts or shafts, rather by things such as clutch set-up, pipe, engine, gearing, weight, etc
Myth 1 busted
shaft dis = heavier car, torque steer, less braking power
-What a huge generalisation. A FT NTC3(shaft) weighs less than most belt drive cars on the market!. As for torque steer, i can unleash my V12 Rody via a power clutch out of a corner or down the straight and it doesn't deviate off line.
I also dont know how you can come to the conclusion that shaft cars cannot brake as well. My FT NTC3 actually out-brakes my V one RRR and G4.
Myth 2 busted!

belt adv = lighter car, cheaper to replace belts than a shaft,
-Belts break much more often than shafts so it might actually cost you more !
Myth 3 busted.
belt diss = belts break easily, slip when using crazy motor, more fricton (because of several contact points)
-8 out of 8 cars in the Nitro A final of the IFMAR worlds were running belt drive cars. 6 Kyoshos and 2 serpents! Im sure being a world championship event, they guys would have been using nothing less that 'CRAZY' motors and i dont think they experienced any belt slippage.
Myth 4 busted!
thats about all i can think of lol