RCU Forums - View Single Post - Radio For Beginner
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2002, 07:59 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio For Beginner

Firstly I would say find a local club and see what radios the instructors use.

Look at:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/

to find a club close to you.

Then buy whatever brand radio the majority of the instructors use. It makes no sense buying a JR radio if the instructors only use Futaba.

Then after making the brand choice I would also suggest buying as much radio as you can afford. Definitely do not buy the 3-channel system.

At a minimum you will need 4 channels. Aileron, Elevator, Throttle and Rudder.

Then a little bit further down the track you will want 6 channels to add retracts and flaps.

If your budget is around $200-$250 as you mention, then you will also want to buy a computer radio. This way you can have one transmitter and store model configurations in memory so you can fly more than one plane from the one transmitter (1 at a time of course! )

When I started out I bought a Futaba T6XAs and am now wishing I bought something better. It cost me around $230 when I bought it.

Moving up to a better radio does not only add more channels, but it adds programming features in the radio too. My 6 channel radio has enough channels to fly a heli but it is a little lacking in the heli programming department.

Another tip! When I started I wasn't very interested in helis. Now for some reason the bug has bitten me and I want a heli. So it is even more important to get the best possible radio as you never know where this hobby will take you and it is a real annoyance having to shell out more cash to replace something that you should have bought properly in the first place.