RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rudder inputs on belly-side knife edge.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:18 PM
CrazyHerb
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder inputs on belly-side knife edge.

Hope this isn't too off topic.

Ok, I've been flying for a long time (1984). But I really want to "fly prettier". Ultimate goal being a very flat slow rolling circle (one rotation per half-circle would be fine), but I won't be too picky.

I'm still (after years) very weak on my belly side rudder inputs/corrections, namely when exiting rolls or violent manuvers (I know contradicting thoughts on a nice smooth flat slow rolling circle). But, I seem to get inputs backwards on occasion, and I'm just not consistent with my corrections. Most of the guys at the field probably don't notice....but I DO.

I can hover and 3D with belly towards me till the tank runs out....but it's just a different animal in forward flight speeds. Yes, I know 3D is much different.

My focus on the plane is usually "leading edge forward"....stick toward low wing. Any other thoughts I can "plug" in my brain to get it to snap in place?
Probably crashed a million bux worth of planes on the simulator....still wiling to crash another million to get it down...

Is there any tips you all might be able to help with? Or have I hit my hand-eye coordination "wall" [&o].

I've been flying the IMAC Votec Extra on AeroFly Pro (which I seem to be most comfortable with. But maybe I have the wrong airframe?
Reduced my elevator throws to 40%..(I'm pretty sure I probably need to go more, and reduce rudder throw as well, hard to get the "stick-banger" out of me).

I've thought about slowing the sim down to 70% to see if that has an impact....

I really am trying to get that "second nature" feel with belly-side rudder flight....I think If I can master this...it's all I need...everything else I feel "natural" with...just this little nagging rudder problem that sneaks up on me.

Anyone else having the same issues (that they actually notice).

I'd love to hear any stories, tips, ideas to help nail this problem down....and thanks for taking the time to read my long winded post.

Oh ya....it seems to happen more when plane is coming at me....I'm usually good once it's flown by....
AND...I'm a "thumbs" flier, I've considered trying to convert myself to "thumb-finger" but don't know if that will help if my "brain-wiring" if jacked up anyway.

CrazyHerb
(aka which way is my rudder going?)