RCU Forums - View Single Post - "illegal" hovering
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2002, 02:22 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "illegal" hovering

Originally posted by 3dbatixkid
I have heard rumors about AMA restricting 3D flying to away from the runway. But why??? The only people that do this are people that are top grade pilots
This is a very common, yet IMO wrong, way of looking at the issue. Don't look at this as a slap to the ego of 3d pilots, look at it as a way of trying to ensure the safety of others nearby regardless of the skills of the 3d pilot.

What makes you think that "top grade" people are immune from interference, mechanical failures, or even the occasional dumb-thumb ? If a 3d pilot is flying his aircraft 5 ft away from me and he gets a radio hit such that this admittedly awesome pilot is in fact no longer piloting the aircraft... how does the pilot's skill level protect my soft pink body from this aircraft that is no longer listening to his commands ? If the same scenario happens with the aircraft now 25 ft from me - well, I still wouldn't want to be there, but at least the increased separation gives me a little better chance of surviving.

Requiring a minimum separation between the aircraft and people for safety reasons seems perfectly reaonable and logical. The pilot is still allowed to keep the aircraft as close to himself or his "helpers" as he wishes as long as he keeps it 25 ft away from anyone else. Doesn't seem like much of a restriction to me. Go out and fly it as close to yourself as you want, when you are the only active pilot within a 25ft radius.

Gordon