Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

"illegal" hovering

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

"illegal" hovering

Old 11-22-2002, 06:50 PM
terry990

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "illegal" hovering

It dosen't take a top notch pilot to hover!

Just takes a lot of practice with the right plane.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:33 PM
wild3dfunfly

sorry i didnt mean to po anybody but i think we should just do this. assign times a t clubs for 3D fliers and regular fliers. if 3D pilots and regular pilots could get along better then everything would be fine.. our club has a rule. at flyins you have to hover your plane 40 feet from the runway and thats has worked
Old 11-23-2002, 03:24 AM
tool

Sorry I sounded like a jerk, but you know, these people who hover over the runway keep other people from flying. It's also a big distraction. It may be impressive to you or the crowd, but I've seen people hover all day with that "look at me!" attitude, but you will never see them torque roll it; because half the time they can't!!

There are people here in oklahoma sick and tired of driving 1-2 hours to a fun-fly, only to see 4-5 guys hovering and doing 3d directly over the runway at 4 feet ALL DAY. We know some pilots have their big sponsor and they can recover from crashing a three-thousand dollar plane so that's why they do it. Anyway, it's not impressive because we've all seen it! Like I said, though, if you want to be impressive, get 4 feet off the ground and let the airplane torque roll. I'll give someone a standing ovation if they touch the tail on the ground while torque rolling (not hovering, we've seen it!)
Old 11-23-2002, 12:40 PM
traskos

Famous last words."Yo`all watch this"
Old 12-04-2002, 03:18 AM
Brad Fuller
My Feedback: (1)

I'm not so sure about that "TOP GRADE PILOTS" stuff, I've seen kids 16 years old who can hover all day long, but have never flown a jet, or heavy twin, or a helicopter, etc., all they wanted to do was learn to fly 3d. Not a put-down, but every one who specializes their part of the hobby tends to think way of flying takes more skill.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:19 AM
LoboFlyer

I've seen plenty of videos of people torque rolling and harriering (is that a word? lol) all over the place, but when they go to land, its one of the crappiest landings I have seen. That's where I lose respect for those pilots...learn the basics before the fancy stuff please!!! :-)

Anyways, that wasn't a general attack at 3d'ers and hover pilots, and this thread really shouldn't be that either. What is most important is this:

The runway is for taking off and landing. Do what you want with it if you are alone, but when someone else comes along, do them the courtesy of moving away so they can use the runway as intended.

I think we've beat this topic to death now.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:17 AM
lucas-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Hover

Wow
Its amazing what the right plane can do to someones ego.
Not to hurt the 3D guys, but with the right plane you can do a blender, waterfall,knifeedge spin,Harrier, its takes about a day to learn this , hover and toqure roll takes some practice. But if you keep at it you,ll get. Then you now have become a Sky God,
With that inlarged head wobbling around your shoulders,
Go to a pattern meet and entry it. That should humble you, But if it does not please learn Respect for the sport, and others.
There is more to becomeing a great flyer, than a Torque Roll.
My 12 year old can Torque roll and hover with any of you,
we both love 3D flying but there is alot more to the sport than the allmighty hover.