RCU Forums - View Single Post - Q 500 getting started
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 07:45 PM
grubs4flyn
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q 500 getting started

Hello everyone.. I just thought I'd post something that I hope has not previously been discussed to death. I didn't see anything in the recent history, but I'm sure there are some other than me wanting info about getting started in Q 500 racing. I' ve never competed other than fun flying with club members, mostly because of other interest or lack of money. I have the opportunity now to invest or throw away some resources toward something I've always wanted to do. Trouble is that nobody locally has any interest in racing other than two guys that compete in giant scale pylon. I always liked the quickies and would rather start there. I've built several years ago, Spicklers, and my favorite was the Scat Cat kits (I still have one flying with a K&B 40 if you believe that). According to what I read, this plane will be nothing more than a hazard in today's heats. Basically my question is how do I get started ? Does anyone know of a club, group, or individual that's within 100 or so miles from RTP NC ? I was hoping to find a mentor type willing to help a newbee get oriented into your sport? I can probably setup a course and begin practicing by myself at our local club, but I can't see how that would prepare anyone for a formal race. I just want to have some fun, learn the ropes, get better, stay out of peoples way, and try not to destroy too much stuff and get frustrated.

Maybe there are less formal events designed to help novice racers get started ? I'm heading to Cleveland for the giant scale race weekend of August 19th to see a formal race for the first time. I figure there is nothing better than to watch and learn from the pros. Anyone going ? shoot me an email, we'll look you up. I look forward to your comments when I get back. Oh, I did order a Viper to get my feet wet, was that a mistake?? What engines are you guys running ? Jetts or Nelsons ? Where do you get props ? wood or comp, pitch and D ? Any comments welcome, links to good sites, vendors, books, videos, etc... Thanks in advance. sorry for the long post.