RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tint a canopy??
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 07:29 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tint a canopy??

Here is what I do (I tint props too..its cool)

I found these posted in the Vectorflight Edge thread... I cannot take credit, but I cannot remember who originally posted them either

but it works perfectly for me....

Directions I found on RCU and modified slightly (time and temp) per my findings:

10 Steps to Tinting Canopy Bliss

This method works with Lexan canopies using Tintex or Ritt fabric dyes.

1. Clean your canopy with warm water and mild soap, rinse thoroughly.

Note: Avoid touching the canopy, oils from your fingers may affect the tinting (use rubber gloves).

3. Find a container larger than your canopy, preferably something you don't intend to use again.

4. Use hot water (140°F), and fill your container to a depth one (1) inch above the canopy.

5. Add 1 cup of vinegar for each gallon of water used.

6. Mix in two parts of black dye and one part of Royal Blue dye thoroughly, there should be no clumps.
(Note: This combination will produce a smoked tint. You could also use straight Black or any other color desired.
I used 3 total packs of dye in a 10 Gallon plastic garabage can. Perhaps I should have used more dye to reduce
the total time needed to get the right level of tint.)

7. Depending on the tint desired this process could take anywhere from 20 minutes up to 12 hours.

8. Once your canopy has reached the desired tint, remove and rinse with cold water.

9. Now marvel at that spectacular tinted canopy, and giggle at how cheap and easy it was to do.

10. Now say to yourself … Damn I’m Good!

I did try and maintain the water temp for a couple of hours, but then just kind of left it alone. The other point to make is I prefer a rather dark tint. You may not and others have reported adequate tinting in as little as 20 minutes. This is certainly not an exact science as their are a large number of variables. You just have to work at it until you get what you want. I believe the trick to avoid any chance of warping is to avoid water temp over 140°F and dye the canopy before you trim in any way.