RCU Forums - View Single Post - Magnum XL80 FSR leaking fuel
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 08:55 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magnum XL80 FSR leaking fuel

My Magnum XL80 FSR has been idling like a kitten and roaring like a lion for over a year without a moment's trouble. It's been a really good engine to pull my GP .40 Corsair around.

I took it to the field this evening for a few flights and had to ground it after I noticed fuel dripping from the muffler when the plane is sitting on the ground. If I hold the nose down, fuel literally pours from the muffler.

I also noticed that the engine is smoking as though it was running very rich, but I assume that's 15% fuel going straight into the muffler

The engine is mounted horizontally, and it runs fine. It will idle nicely at about 2,000 RPM all afternoon without loading up , and it winds up instantly to about 10,000 RPM (it will run at 11,500 RPM but I like to run it a little rich.) I don't have a temp gauge, but the valve cover doesn't seem overly hot to me and the smoking stops instantly when I shut down the engine.

I hadn't noticed this dripping condition before, but I suppose I could have been missing it for over a year. Still, I AM pretty meticulous about my engines. Any ideas what could be causing this leaking? Until I figure this out, my Corsair is grounded.

Thanks in advance,
Mike