Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum XL80 FSR leaking fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:55 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magnum XL80 FSR leaking fuel

My Magnum XL80 FSR has been idling like a kitten and roaring like a lion for over a year without a moment's trouble. It's been a really good engine to pull my GP .40 Corsair around.

I took it to the field this evening for a few flights and had to ground it after I noticed fuel dripping from the muffler when the plane is sitting on the ground. If I hold the nose down, fuel literally pours from the muffler.

I also noticed that the engine is smoking as though it was running very rich, but I assume that's 15% fuel going straight into the muffler

The engine is mounted horizontally, and it runs fine. It will idle nicely at about 2,000 RPM all afternoon without loading up , and it winds up instantly to about 10,000 RPM (it will run at 11,500 RPM but I like to run it a little rich.) I don't have a temp gauge, but the valve cover doesn't seem overly hot to me and the smoking stops instantly when I shut down the engine.

I hadn't noticed this dripping condition before, but I suppose I could have been missing it for over a year. Still, I AM pretty meticulous about my engines. Any ideas what could be causing this leaking? Until I figure this out, my Corsair is grounded.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 09-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Magnum XL80 FSR leaking fuel

Mike....I think you are just running it way too rich, and have the conditions
you have described. Go to a 3 or 400 drop (richened) setting and see how it
does. I think all that wasted fuel is just that....wasted fuel.

FBD.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:25 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[b]Mirwin:

...had to ground it after I noticed fuel dripping from the muffler when the plane is sitting on the ground. If I hold the nose down, fuel literally pours from the muffler.
If this is, as I assume, with the tank full and before you start the engine, it's nothing to worry about. Just fuel running from the tank vent, through the pressure line, and out the exhaust.

Perfexctly normal. Just keep the plane nose up with the tank filled and the engie not running.

I agree with FBD that running it 1500 rpm rich from peak is a lot more than you need. I wouldn't go down to his lower limit, but 400 rpm is plenty rich.

Bill.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:55 AM
jbracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-12-2005, 08:48 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reassurance, fellas. I was a little nervous about all that fuel leaking.

Mike